Components for Building Computers From Scratch/New build

My dad asked me to help him build a new PC. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the choice and all buying guides on the internet seem to be geared towards gaming. Could you give me some specific advice for the components? His requirements are as follows.

- i5 processor
- motherboard with sata 600 and usb 3.0
- case with some front usb 3.0 ports
- quality power supply
- 256 gb SSD (he already owns a 60gb and this really isnt enough)
- 1 TB HDD
- no need for a dedicated graphics card. The on-board graphics of the CPU will be enough. There should be at least one HDMI port on the motherboard to link the PC to a TV though.

Total budget is around 700 euros ~ 800 dollars. This is for the listed components so don't mind OS, DVD drive, keyboard,...

I tried to compose something myself, maybe you can make some adjustements?

I think the system you've put together looks proper for your given requirements - I wouldn't worry so much about USB 3.0 or SATA III, but that doesn't mean I would explicitly avoid them either. Remember an optical drive of some sort, monitor, keyboard, and that kind of thing as well as an operating system (I'm assuming you have all of these things, as you've mentioned them already) - and you'll be set.

The only things I would consider changing would be the memory (if you can find a less "gaming" oriented product, you might save a few dollars), and dropping the SSD (if you need to bring the budget down). Otherwise I think you've done very well.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience