Components for Building Computers From Scratch/transferring windows 7 to another internal hard drive

Question
My Dell inspirion 1525 hard drive is going bad.  I ordered a new one. I was never given windows 7 discs with my purchase.  Can I click and drag the contents of my present hard drive to a an external hard drive then drag it onto the new internal hard drive after I install it. If not, what can I do?

Thanks

Answer
George,,

Sad to say that even if you click and drag the contents on your hard drive that would never work...The main reason is that the system files of a windows 7 OS is hidden at the hard drive and you really need to install a new windows 7 Os....you can still have a windows 7 OS if there is a program that was installed on your system that can create a backup disc of your whole hard drive ....i myself had create one and whenever my OS had a glitch i just run the DVD i made to install my OS as it was from factory installed....  

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

tristan braza