Components for Building Computers From Scratch/BIOS Settings

QUESTION: Hi I have a desktop computer with a Biostar G41D3+ motherboard with 8gb of DDR3 1333 MHz ram and a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 processor and I was wondering about the settings for the cpu. In my BIOS currently the Speed Step is disabled, the C-State is disabled and for some reason it won't stay enabled, the C1E Support is enabled, Hardware Prefetcher is enabled, Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch is enabled, Max CPUID Value Limit is disabled, Virtualization Tech is enabled, Execute-Disable Bit Capability is enabled, PECI is enabled, and Core Multi-Processing is enabled.
I was wondering which settings should be turned on and which ones should be left disabled. I don't do any over clocking with my machine. One other thing is the C-State for some reason it won't stay enabled. Would you be able to tell me how these settings should be set. Any help is greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: I will try and help the best I can, but I will be totally honest, I have not messed with the settings you are talking about much at all. Default seems to work well for me.
However, the C-State setting will probably not stay enabled because of a compatibility issue. Either the Motherboard itself or the BIOS. Another possibility is C-State is dependent on Speed Step to be enabled.
Why do you disable Speed Step? It will increase the life of the processor and the entire machine due to less heat and power consumption. The only reason I would say to disable it is if you are going to overclock and you say you are not.

QUESTION: Hi I'm not sure myself why Speed Step was disabled. I have since enabled it but the C-State still won't stay enabled. I have a Cooler Master Silence screw down heat sink and fan on it but can't get my temps to go down. According to the Core Temp program the core run at idle 34,39,41,43 and at full load they run at the highest 55-57. If the C-State was enabled would my temps go down any?

Yes. The temps would go down. However, 34, 39, 41, are ok. When you get an Intel processor much above 105 degrees Fahrenheit (41 Celsius), it will reduce the life of it. Sounds like you have a good after market heat sink and fan. I like Cooler Master. However, what other fans does you machine have. According to the size of the case, I like two fans blowing in from the front and two blowing out the back. 55 and 57 are really pushing an Intel processor. They just won't take the heat that an AMD will. I would guess there is not enough ventilation in the PC itself, in a hot room, and/or not the proper amount of new thermal paste between the heat sink and the processor.
I have often worked on PCs where someone had upgraded the motherboard, processor, etc. but didn't bother to add more cooling. You can test yours by opening the case, take a normal house fan and blow air into the open side of the PC. The temperatures will go down if there is a cooling issue. Go here and check out the free program SpeedFan:
It will monitor temps and speed up most of your fans according to the temp settings you set in SpeedFan. It has easy to follow instructions.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis

I can answer most any question in this category for the home desktop builder and for most gaming PC builders. This includes what kind of case, cooling products, overclocking, all hardware, software, and safety issues. I can also advise on where the best sources for purchasing hardware are on the net.

100's of system builds from Win 2k through Win7 for customers as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction. Most experienced with XP and Vista.

4 classes short of my Networking degree.