Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Computer building

I have this list of computer parts to build a gaming PC from my friend. I trust him a lot, but i wanted a second opinion because it is a lot of money to waste if he told me wrong. He told me to get XFX AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB, Corsair Vengeance Blue 8GB 1600MHz, WD caviar Black 500GB 7200RPM, Cooler Master HAF 912, AMD FX-6300 6-Core processor, MSI Socket AM3+ 970A-G43, Corsair CX 430 Watt. Are these a good list of parts that are compatible and how long can i expect them to last me?

The only thing I would question is the power supply. The one listed is only 430W and is made for low noise. Back in the single core days I would use a 500W. Everything else looks really good. The processor and motherboard are compatible. I did not check the video card but XFX is a good brand. Make sure the video card is compatible with your motherboard. The specs on this link tell everything about the MB:
Your case looks really good. I can't really find any information except some pictures to see how the fan slots are laid out. The explanation says "1 x 120mm fan in rear and 1 x 120mm fan in the front". I have always had better luck with cooling when I had air being pulled in from the front and blown out the back. However, I have saw many cases where the fans are pre-installed to all blow in. Maybe it was a mistake, but in my experience you do not get adequate cooling that way. Not sure if the fan shaped vent on the side is a place for another fan or just a vent? If you can install a fan there, I would. It should blow in due to the fact it is probably positioned over the processor or the videocard. Let me know how it goes.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis

I can answer most any question in this category for the home desktop builder and for most gaming PC builders. This includes what kind of case, cooling products, overclocking, all hardware, software, and safety issues. I can also advise on where the best sources for purchasing hardware are on the net.

100's of system builds from Win 2k through Win7 for customers as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction. Most experienced with XP and Vista.

4 classes short of my Networking degree.