Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Overclocking

Hi I have a Compaq Presario SR2038X media center that has a NodusM3-GL8E motherboard with a AMD Athlon 64x2 3800+ 2.0GHz processor, 4gb of ram, NVidia GeForce 210 graphics card, 1tb hard drive and is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I was wondering if there is anyway to overclock the cpu. I've looked in the bio but can't find anything in there for changing the speeds. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I will be totally honest, if your BIOS does not enable you to overclock, I would not do it. I could go on and on about the advantages and disadvantages of overclocking. Just to cut to the chase. Pre-built computers are not made to overclock. There may not be a beefy enough CPU fan to keep the processor cool. The only time I have ever overclocked a computer is when I built it myself. After market motherboards usually have overclocking enabled in the BIOS, plus you have all the options of more fan slots, an after market CPU heatsink and fan that will cool a lot better. Overclocking is really not a recommended practice. Even if you are successful in keeping your CPU at a reasonable temperature, it will still reduce the life of it. I once was able to overclock a processor (single core) from 1.8ghz to 2.0ghz. There was hardly any performance enhancement that I could see. I tried to overclock more but the system would always crash.  

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis

I can answer most any question in this category for the home desktop builder and for most gaming PC builders. This includes what kind of case, cooling products, overclocking, all hardware, software, and safety issues. I can also advise on where the best sources for purchasing hardware are on the net.

100's of system builds from Win 2k through Win7 for customers as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction. Most experienced with XP and Vista.

4 classes short of my Networking degree.