Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Card Reader

Question
Can I install the "2 USB 2.0 9-in-1 card reader + WinDVD" from my old HP desktop to my new HP Compaq 6005 Pro?  Thank you.  Jim

Answer
It depends on how the card-reader connects internally and what kinds of headers the Compaq has available. In general card readers should connect via USB internally, and if such a header is available then yes it should work.

It would look like the one on the left:
http://www.voelkner.de/products/105107/100-xl.jpg

And plugs into a corresponding port on the motherboard with 9 pins (it will likely have a label "USB" or similar printed onto the circuit board).

If the card reader connects another way, it may not be compatible - if you have pictures of your specific devices that would be helpful. Also keep in mind that replacement card readers are fairly inexpensive devices ($10 or so), so worst case scenario you can just buy a new external model (and if you aren't up to opening up your new computer, that might be a better route overall).

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert