Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Mains Electricity by Country.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Bob

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity

Some Countries supply the Alternating current (AC) Electric Power supply with Input Voltage rating as 230 V, 50 Hz and some Countries supply Alternating current (AC) Electric Power supply with Input Voltage rating as 110 V, 60 Hz.

So similarly various Electrical appliances and devices viz Microwave Ovens, Geysers, Electric Iron, freeze, Television set, Fans etc are designed to work with this Input Electric power.

Do you feel people residing in those countries which supply the 110 V, 60 Hz Input Power supply will have electricity Meter rating i.e. Electricity Bill less (i.e. Power consumption - Watts) as compared to those people residing in countries which supply the 230 V, 50 Hz Input Power supply ?.

Electricity Bill - Meter reading will be less for consumers staying in those countries which supply 110 V, 60 Hz than for those consumers staying in those countries which supply 230 V, 50 Hz electric supply ?.

Does the Input Electric Power variant will make a difference in Output power consumption and subsequently in Electricity Meter reading ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Most newer computer power supplies are universal - meaning they will accept 230V or 110V without issue (some do this with a switch, some do this automatically; check the owner's manual of your PSU or computer to be certain). This is somewhat different from something like a fan, which runs on AC (while the computer power supply is converting AC to DC), and often will behave erratically (and may be damaged) if connected to the wrong input voltage.

Regarding the power meter's response - this will be influenced both by the power supply's efficiency, and PFC functionality (or lack thereof). It will vary from model to model, but in general a few % change in efficiency when switching voltage is not uncommon (often higher voltage sees slightly higher efficiency), as is a very minor change in PFC (higher voltage tends to see lower PFC). In both cases the change is very minor, and probably won't result in any significant changes on your electric bill. Overall this is nothing I would worry too much about, as long as your power supply is appropriate for the AC mains power you have available.

Here's the link to the Wikipedia article about PFC:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor_correction#Power_factor_correction_in_

And here's an example of a power supply being measured at different input voltages, showing changes in efficiency and PFC:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2433/8

We can see this trend repeated with another model:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5844/pc-power-cooling-silencer-mk-iii-400w/5

-bob

QUESTION: Dear Bob

Thank you.

Do you still feel for the same model in different countries with different input voltages of 230 V AC, 50 Hz and 110 V AC, 60 Hz for the electrical equipment used, will the electronic meter bill (Units consumed) for 110 V AC will be less as compared to 230 V AC, 50 Hz ?.

There are pros and cons of using 230 V AC, 50 Hz v/s 110 V AC, 60 Hz
adopted as the Power supply standards by different countries ?.

Isn't it ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
In general the differences will be too small to worry about, and further there's little that can be done about it. In other words if you're in the United States, you will always have 110V - using a transformer to convert it to 230V would negate any potential efficiency advantages, because there will be loss through the transformer.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert