Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Choosing Memory

Question
What are the basics for choosing memory compatible with your motherboard? How do you know how much you can have? My motherboard is the ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150. Thank you.

-Isaac

Answer
The easiest answer is to check either the device's manual or the manufacturer's website. For your board, the website provides sufficient information: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/specifications/

"4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 3200(O.C.)/3100(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666(O.C.)/2600(O.C.)/2500(O.C.)/2400(O.C.)/2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/2000(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1800(O.C.)/1600/1333 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory *
Dual Channel Memory Architecture "

The board can support a total of 4 DIMMs, a maximum of 32GB of RAM, and takes DDR3 (and supports a very wide variety of speed grades). 32/4 = 8, which means it supports up to 8GB per DIMM. How much memory you need is dependent on your application load - if you're using the machine just to browse the web, check email, and run office productivity applications, 4GB would be perfectly fine. If, instead, you're meaning to run demanding games I would suggest at least 8GB. Ideally you would also install a matched pair (or pairs) of DIMMs, to ensure dual-channel is enabled (this will improve available memory bandwidth).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert