Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Chosing RAM and installation

What are the basics for selecting RAM sticks that are compatible with the motherboard. Also, what steps do I take for proper installation. Thanks

You need to know what kind and speed of memory the motherboard supports, and from there you can select appropriate modules. Installation is very straight forward for desktop systems - you simply open the retaining latches and install the module (they are keyed, meaning they can only go in one way - the latches should snap shut with the module in place, but sometimes you have to help them a bit with your fingers). For a laptop you will need to know the specific model of system, and look up the service manual (or, if it's a somewhat popular model, there may be a user-generated video tutorial or article online). The primary difference for a laptop is figuring out which covers need to be opened to access the memory slot(s), but the procedure from then on is roughly the same (laptop memory is smaller, but is still keyed and uses similar retainers).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience