Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Graphics card compatibility.

Is the GeForce GTX 970 graphics card compatible with the ASUS Maximus VII Hero Z97 ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150 motherboard? The processor I'm planning to use is the i7-4790k. Thank you.

Yes, it very well should be - the board you've mentioned features PCI Express x16 slots, and the GTX 970 is a PCI Express x16 card. Do keep in mind power supply compatibility as well - you will want something very competent to handle a high performance machine such as this. I would suggest Corsair, FirePower (formerly PC Power & Cooling), Antec, Enermax, or Seasonic as they all make excellent power supplies. Capacity will depend on how many additional devices you are installing, but generally 600-800W would be a good starting point for a high performance machine.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience