Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Motherboard Question

Question
Hi I have a motherboard here out of a Dell Inspiron 530. I have 8gb of ram and an Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 cpu and I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. The problem I'm having is that in the BIOS it's showing 8gb of ram installed and in the system properties it's showing 8gb but when I go on the Crucial website and do a scan it comes back showing that only 4gb is intaleed and two of the ram slots are empty. I also tried the Memtest program and that showed I have 6gb installed. Would you have any idea why some programs are showing less memory than what is installed in my board. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Answer
You're likely seeing the upper limit of what the applications are able to address - I especially wouldn't trust a website applet (it will be limited by a variety of factors, and its accuracy is therefore questionable at best). If Windows is reporting 8GB, and if the BIOS is reporting 8GB, you can take that as truth. If you'd like to see a software application "check up" on Windows (however consider that Windows and many good software applications will all pull their information from the same place - the BIOS), try something like CPU-Z (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html) or PC Wizard (http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html) - they should report 8GB in-line with Windows and the system board.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert