Components for Building Computers From Scratch/PCi speeds

I think I e mailed you before about this but I did not have my Facts right.

I know pci 33MHz at 64Bit has a Bandwidth of 264MBps.

And pci 33MHz at 32Bit has a Bandwidth of 132MBps.

Do I have these right?

266MB/s and 133MB/s, but yes that is correct. As previously stated (just to clarify), this bandwidth is "shared" across all devices on the bus. Depending on the kinds of add-in cards you have, populating all available slots on a motherboard may result in slow-downs (for example if you were to install five graphics adapters and attempt to use them all intensively at once, it would likely result in a slow-down due to the PCI bus being a bottleneck).

For 64-bit or 66MHz operation to work, both devices have to support such modes. This is quite rare for consumer systems.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience