Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Sizzling Plug

Question
To Bobbert

First of all, thanks for reading and responding to my questions.

After my old original power cord, adapter and plug spoiled, I bought a new one. It has been months I have been using it with little problems. Just two days ago, whenever, i overstretch the cord just a little by accident without even detaching the parts, the power supply is cut off. It took proper adjustment to retain the power.

Few hours ago, I just plugged my plug into an outlet and the plug sizzled and smoke through a small hole at the back of the plug. Above the hole was a word fuse so i assumed the fuse has melted but i prefer confirmation as I couldn't find anything on the internet on smoking and sizzling plugs.

My question is the reason for it and is it fixable? If not should i get a new plug/cord or is it best to get the original plug/cord that is compatible to my laptop? Or changing the laptop would be more preferable?

Hope to hear from you soon and thank you in advance.

Jeffrey

Answer
Anything that results in a sizzling/crackling noise and the release of smoke is not good at all - a proper fuse should not behave that way when blowing. My advice would be to have the laptop looked over by a qualified technician (unfortunately this isn't something we can do via the Internet), and replace the power cord with an appropriate model if that is necessary.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert