Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Smartphone with inbuilt mini DVD/CD Drive.

Question
Dear Bob

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

Is it possible to manufacture a Smartphone device with inbuilt mini
DVD / CD Drive  ?.

The DVD / CD Drive hardware electronics and the supporting software drivers to play data (audio,video etc media) stored in mini DVD / CD ROM Disks ?. The mini disks will have a smaller circular radius as compared to Standard DVD / CD ROM Disks.

Do you feel is it possible to built this hardware within a Smartphone
device ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
I don't see why you couldn't have a mobile device act as a USB master and connect to an external drive (someone may have already done it as a project, but I'm not aware of such a thing), and there are mobile devices that use compact optical discs (e.g. Playstation Portable uses UMD (and it's probably the closest analog to such a device)), so all of the various pieces parts do exist in some form or another. My guess, however, is that the market desire for such a device is relatively low, especially when content from CDs and DVDs can be downloaded onto mobile devices, negating the need for any sort of disc.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert