Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Smartphone with inbuilt mini DVD/CD Drive.

Dear Bob

Is it possible to manufacture a Smartphone device with inbuilt mini
DVD / CD Drive  ?.

The DVD / CD Drive hardware electronics and the supporting software drivers to play data (audio,video etc media) stored in mini DVD / CD ROM Disks ?. The mini disks will have a smaller circular radius as compared to Standard DVD / CD ROM Disks.

Do you feel is it possible to built this hardware within a Smartphone
device ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I don't see why you couldn't have a mobile device act as a USB master and connect to an external drive (someone may have already done it as a project, but I'm not aware of such a thing), and there are mobile devices that use compact optical discs (e.g. Playstation Portable uses UMD (and it's probably the closest analog to such a device)), so all of the various pieces parts do exist in some form or another. My guess, however, is that the market desire for such a device is relatively low, especially when content from CDs and DVDs can be downloaded onto mobile devices, negating the need for any sort of disc.

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience