Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Fiber Optic and Cat5 Cable in Cable Television and Telephone Systems.

Question
Dear Bob

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_cable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_fiber_cable

Can we alternatively use Fiber Optic and Cat5 Cable in Cable Television and Telephone Systems as a replacement to Coaxial Cable ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Yes - this is done in some parts of the world already. For example the Verizon FiOS service. Category 5 (more broadly, Ethernet) is not a suitable replacement to fiber optic or coaxial cable as it cannot handle extremely long runs (it is limited to 100M), although for on-site connections it is very common.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert