Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Hard Drive

I have win7 and I know how to do the  chkdsk  check and fix for my Hard Drive.

But is there any Free Hard Drive Tool that I can Run and it will test the Hard Drive Macanics to see if it will be going?

I have an Exturnale Hard Drive and I Hear a Low BUZZ coming from it.
Even when it is just sitting doing nothing.

But the  chkdsk  came up good.

So I want to test it to see if it is going to Fail?

To be honest I did not know for sure if there was a physical hard drive test for external drives so I did a little search and came up with this from It talks about using Ubuntu, a Linux operating system. Just google it and you can get a live cd for next to nothing.

"In Windows NT/XP/Vista/7, you can open a CMD prompt and use

chkdsk /r x:

where x is the drive letter of your USB drive, assuming the drive is partitioned and has a drive letter assigned to it.

I'd suggest getting an Ubuntu live CD and booting into Linux, then using badblocks to scan for physical defects.

Use sudo fdisk -l to list all the drives and their partitions. For each drive:

sudo badblocks -nvs /dev/sdx
where your hard drive is /dev/sdx. This will perform a non-destructive read/write test on the disk without doing a filesystem check.

If you don't care about the data, you can do this instead, to do a more thorough scan:

sudo badblocks -wvs /dev/sdx
The -w option tells badblocks to write a known pattern, then read back the data to make sure it matches the pattern. It does this 4 times, using the patterns 0xaa, 0x55, 0xff, and 0x00 (alternating 0's and 1's, then all 1's, then all 0's). Note that this will overwrite all data on the drive and wipe out all the partitions, as well.

If you happen to have a Linux filesystem on the drive, you can check for filesystem errors and run badblocks at the same time. First, get the list of all the drives and their partitions:

sudo fdisk -l
Then for each partition:

sudo e2fsck -fcc /dev/sdx#
Again, /dev/sdx is the hard drive you want to scan. # is the number of the partition (e.g., /dev/sdb1). Specifying c twice will force fsck to run, and will use badblocks to do a non-destructive read-write test. If you just use the c option once, badblocks will do a read-only test."  

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Keith Davis

I can answer most any question in this category for the home desktop builder and for most gaming PC builders. This includes what kind of case, cooling products, overclocking, all hardware, software, and safety issues. I can also advise on where the best sources for purchasing hardware are on the net.

100's of system builds from Win 2k through Win7 for customers as a self-employed PC technician with 100% customer satisfaction. Most experienced with XP and Vista.

4 classes short of my Networking degree.