Components for Building Computers From Scratch/RAM

Question
Hi, I have a refurbished HP8000 elite small form desktop. Here are some of the specs. Windows 7 professional 64 bit, copywrite 2009, Service pack 1. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 316 Ghz, 4 GB-DDR3 RAM. My question is, will putting more RAM do any good as far as making my PC faster? I opened the computer and pulled a stick of RAM and wrote down what was written on it. Samsung P/N 497 156-D88. 1GB 1Rx8 PC3-10600U. The first stick of RAM had a black latch and the other 3 had white. Can I replace the 1GB sticks with 2GB sticks of RAM with 1Rx8, 10600LU written on it? What is the difference in 1Rx8 and 2Rx8? Will the 2GB work in my PC?  Any information or advice will be sincerely appreciated.

Stephen

Answer
The white/black labeling is just identifying which slot is "first" on the board - it has no electrical/software-side significance, it is meant to save technician time.

As far as adding more RAM - your system may or may not support 2GB DIMMs; per this HP document it appears that it does: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01926344

In that case, yes you could upgrade the RAM to 8 or 16GB. As far as "making the PC faster" - it depends. What are you attempting to improve the performance of? Using Task Manager, what kind of memory usage does your system report while you're using it? Generally speaking 4GB is sufficient for most typical tasks on a modern PC with Windows 7, but if you do a lot of multi-tasking, or work with very large applications, more memory may provide some benefit if you're currently running into page file/swap space (e.g. using more than 4GB of memory). If you aren't using more than 4GB of memory, it wouldn't provide any significant benefit (especially relative to the cost).

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert