Components for Building Computers From Scratch/Processor Upgrade

Question
QUESTION: Hi I have a Acer Aspire M1200 desktop computer that I'm looking to upgrade the processor in. I'd like to use a Phenom quad core if possible. I was wondering if you could tell me if this is possible on this desktop and if so what Phenom processors are compatible.

Thanks

ANSWER: Can you provide more information about the machine's current configuration?

Per the Acer Support documentation, it supports Phenom triple and quad core processors up to 95W;
https://acersupport.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1200/AspireM1200sp2.shtml

It is likely safe to assume this refers to first-generation Phenom parts, which limits your options (relatively speaking; see here: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/TYPE-Phenom%20X4.html and: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/TYPE-Phenom%20X3.html - you will be limited to availability of used hardware to find any of these parts in 2016; unfortunately Acer's support documentation for this (and other) products is extremely limited). Some quick looking finds confirmation that the Phenom 9550, for example, should work. The system's cooling and power will be under additional load with such a processor, especially if you have additional add-in cards and drives beyond the default configuration. Depending on what you need the machine to do, it may be advisable to consider a new system at this time. Short of that, and again relative to your usage needs, a graphics card upgrade may be worth contemplating, especially if you are still using the original IGP.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

-bob

QUESTION: Hi the current specs of the desktop are Athlon 64x2 4600+ processor, 4gb of ram and 250gb hard drive. It's running Windows 7 64bit.

Answer
The Phenom processor would be a reasonable upgrade over the Athlon 64x2, however again depending on what you need the machine to do this may or may not be fully sufficient for your needs (the other significant factor to consider is the graphics hardware). The operating system is well suited for this kind of upgrade. The cooling system should be appropriate for this kind of upgrade, if it can already sufficiently handle the X2 4600+.

-bob

Components for Building Computers From Scratch

Bobbert