Composite Materials/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
control of environment4/29/2016andy mackay
  Q: In which instances is the control of temperature, moisture or different emissions important and ...
  A: it is important to keep raw materials dry,, this includes resins, dry cloths, pre-pregs and cores. ...
High temperature properties of composites12/15/2015andy mackay
  Q: It is observed that composites materials properties vary with temperature. Ultem filled 50% with ...
  A: I'm not familiar with ULTEM sorry but understand it is a thermoplastic PEI-type material. ...
Military fabric and resin cups and plates7/24/2015andy mackay
  Q: Good afternoon! When I was a small child, I seem to remember seeing cups and plates my uncles ...
  A: I haven't seen these items myself, but imagine the mould is coated in resin first, then cord laid ...
tube with ultrathin walls4/4/2015andy mackay
  Q: Looking for possibility to produce tube length 35 mm ,OD 2.7 mm ,ID 2.5 mm . Ability to handle axial ...
  A: 0.1mm wall thickess is pretty slim all right! This equates to a single layer of 300gm/sqm e-glass ...
Recycled Polyester6/13/2014andy mackay
  Q: I recently purchased a reading pillow that is stuffed with polyester fibers made from recycled ...
  A: there should be no volatile organic compounds in polyester pillow flock, but it is possible to be ...
weight fraction5/6/2014Ever Barbero
  Q: sir, I am frabricated specimens of coir and epoxy with hand lay up method ,as per 30:70,40:60,50:50 ...
  A: If you search my archived responses in this site you will find the answer because I have responded ...
modeling short-fiber composite materials3/3/2014Ever Barbero
  Q: Barbero, I have a very basic question if you don't mind. I would like to know whether it is ...
  A: I am a bit out of my comfort zone with this question because I never attempted to do what you want ...
SMA hybrid composite12/30/2013Ever Barbero
  Q: Sir, I want to study about the Shape memory alloy hybrid composites and its modelling in FEM. I want ...
  A: You need to understand composites before you can do novel work on SMA composites. ...
hybridization of composite7/25/2013andy mackay
  Q: this is vasant doing project on "coir & rice husk reinforced vinylester base hybrid composite ...
  A: in most composite matrices, it is the fibre carrying the majority of tensile loading. you could try ...
rudder/keel ?6/2/2013andy mackay
  Q: Can you explain the construction of the boat to keel, and rudder?
  A: on pleasure craft, rudders are usually made of a fibre glass skin over a foam core, which in turn is ...
Composite Modelling5/21/2013Ever Barbero
  Q: I've read your paper on determination of material parameters for Abaqus progressive damage analysis ...
  A: Your doubts are explained in great detail in this book: ...
fabricatio of coir composite5/8/2013andy mackay
  Q: I have problem in fabricating COIR COMPOSITE with VINYLESTER as a resin...I am using weight fraction ...
  A: So to get 10% fibre fraction, thats 90 grams of resin to 10 grams of fibre. To get 20% fibre ...
Safety factor for composite structures5/6/2013Ever Barbero
  Q: I am a master student in the field of mechanical engineering. I have a project which requires me to ...
  A: This is a complex question, if I want to answer it in detail. To begin, if you do Nastran on ...
astm test dimensions i want know4/30/2013Ever Barbero
  Q: sir,i m doing project on RICE HUSK FLOUR reinforced VINYLESTER base POLYMER COMPOSITE. i know how to ...
  A: ASTM D3039 and D790, both tell you what speciemn dimension you must use. This is assuming that the ...
Wooden stacking chair design4/7/2013andy mackay
  Q: I am a student studying final year product design at Brunel Universiy, London. I am designing a ...
  A: From what I do understand, I'm guessing you're going to bend the front legs to support the chair, ...
weight fraction2/17/2013andy mackay
  Q: ..i want to put increasing weight percentage of coir to check where exactly is it shows optimum ...
  A: Please refer to link below; http://composite.about.com/library/glossary/f/bldef-f2200.htm If your ...
Kevlar tape fraying2/14/2013andy mackay
  Q: how can we stop the edges from fraying, we are using this on the edge of a reflector liner/light ...
  A: Couple of suggestions; You can make the shield/liner so that the kevlar stops before the part edge, ...
infusion of carbon fiber FVF adjustment11/25/2012andy mackay
  Q: I am attempting to fabricate a cosmetic near perfect carbon fiber part with that carbon under glass ...
  A: I'm surprised you're using polyester resin for the process - it typically does not bond well with ...
Composite technology11/22/2012andy mackay
  Q: my name is moohan and i'm living in iran i have a small workshop about fiber glass composite. i ...
  A: Moulding techniques are; Wet layup (dry glass, apply wet resin layer upon layer and wet out) ...
glass fiber rope properties11/5/2012andy mackay
  Q: I want to know about the mechanical properties of fiber glass rope, specially its modulus of ...
  A: I need a little more information about the fibre itself - is it in raw state, how many ends and ...
Carbon Fibre7/15/2012andy mackay
  Q: I need to the answers to some very hard questions that I have been searching on the internet for ...
  A: Brief answer as below, Environmental issues relate to manufacture (feedstocks and process), usage ...
Composite materials for commercial aircraft6/8/2012andy mackay
  Q: I stumble upon this website as I was searching for the type of composite materials used in Airbus ...
  A: CFRP = Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic - and in aircraft use this is thermoset plastic, typically ...
hard coating5/20/2012andy mackay
  Q: My name is Edward.I m developing food industry device and one part of device is made ...
  A: you can unravel some filaments and wind them onto a small mandrel - assuming your ulterior motive is ...
Boundary Conditions for Free Warping3/30/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: Dr Barbero, I have modeled an composite I beam in ANSYS with the help of shell181 elements. I want ...
  A: I don't understand what BC and what loading you want. I understand you don't want warping ...
curved beam3/13/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: I study on laminated curved beam with variable curvature with first shear deformable theory. what ...
  A: Strain-displacement are the definitions of strain as derivatives of displacements. Eq. 6.3, in Into ...
fabrication composite3/12/2012andy mackay
  Q: I have enquiry regarding fabricate a composite. I have a very limited fibres which I've produced by ...
  A: I'm not sure what you mean by limited fibres - do you mean they are short? Best to lay them up in ...
composites2/11/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: longitudnal stress,tensile strength,tensile transverse strength,and transverse comporesive strength ...
  A: I assume that the 9 orthotropic properties that you have are the stiffness, called E1, E2, etc. or ...
Stress in principal co-ordinates2/2/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: Dr. Barbero, This is regarding your reply for my last question regarding the stresses in principal ...
  A: ANSYS: How to display in lamina coordinates as opposed to global. Using RSYS, SOLU (in menus: ...
Biocomposite2/2/2012andy mackay
  Q: Good day, i am doing research on biocomposite. In order to do my samples, i need to determine the ...
  A: Typically the formula used is fibre volume fractin - how much fibre is in a finished composite item. ...
ANSYS MODELLING1/30/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: Dr Barbero, Currently I am working on a Composite I beam. I have created a Composite I beam with 3D ...
  A: In most cases it is not a good idea to use solid elements to model a thin walled beam (such as an I ...
design of zero CTE composite panels1/24/2012Ever Barbero
  Q: While reading on the carbon fiber composites, some text books claim using carbon fiber it is ...
  A: It is true. Depending of the fiber volume, you can make it zero or negative in one direction for one ...
latex substitute?11/28/2011andy mackay
  Q: **i have to wear a post-op prescrip compression stocking (absolute support hosiery). **the package ...
  A: You might be able to ask the prescribing doctor or nurse - or the hospital/clinic you got the ...
composite materials11/22/2011Ever Barbero
  Q: I AM DOING HYBRID COMPOSITE MATERIAL PROJECT.I HAVE DROUGHTS IN CALCULATING VOLUME FRACTION OF ...
  A: As it is explained in my textbook http://barbero.cadec-online.com/icmd/, all the formulas for volume ...
Self-healing composite on helicopters11/17/2011andy mackay
  Q: I am currently researching on a project at my university on adapting self-healing composites on a ...
  A: I did read something last year that discussed filling the fibreglass strand itself with a liquid ...
rule of mixture in composite material10/13/2011Ever Barbero
  Q: sir how to find silicon and aluminium carbide density send the calculation
  A: Silicon is an element (Si), so its density is known experimentally. Aluminum carbide is a chemical ...
Bow Shipping Tube10/8/2011andy mackay
  Q: I have a particular application and am looking for a low-cost solution. I'd value your advice. I ...
  A: Have you thought about using cardboard tube with perhaps a thin layer of fibreglass over the top? ...
crack propagation in composites9/5/2011Ever Barbero
  Q: Barbero, I am a PhD student in university of Toronto and I have a question regarding to cracks in ...
  A: It is not clear how the pressure is applied. Anyway, if the faces of the delamination crack are ...
Composite Hydraulic Telescopic Hoist9/2/2011andy mackay
  Q: We have been working on a hydraulic telescopic hoist project designed for dump trailers for the past ...
  A: I'd need to see the specifications of the hoist, SWL, reach, and planned design before I could ...
Vacuum Infusion8/15/2011andy mackay
  Q: I have a confusion. After the resin is totally infused, should the vacuum pump stay 'on' for the ...
  A: You need the vacuum pump on until the resin has cured ! The only time you would ever consider ...
density of fiberglass7/28/2011Ever Barbero
  Q: We are doing an analysis of our USEPA laboratory and we need to calculate the mass of materials. We ...
  A: You have a "composite" made of a matrix (such as polyester) reinforced with fiberglass. From ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9   |  Next       All

Composite Materials

andy mackay

Top Expert on this page