Composite Materials/Recycled Polyester

Question
I recently purchased a reading pillow that is stuffed with polyester fibers made from recycled plastic.  I noticed that there is an odor - which the company says comes from the fibers themselves.  Should polyester that is made this way smell at all - and it is it unhealthy (VOCs, etc.)?  It's possible that the manufacturer sprayed it or treated it with something, but I don't think that they do that with polyester pillows - and they said they didn't

I just want to make sure that it is safe to put our heads on this pillow, because we do have some sensitivities.

Thank you for your expertise,
Lindsay

Answer
there should be no volatile organic compounds in polyester pillow flock, but it is possible to be sensitive to the fibre cleaners or pillow casing itself.
I would suggest trying a pillow that states "hypo-allergenic" or perhaps try a buckwheat pillow.  Might be worth checking your laundry powder and suggest you dry pillowcases in drier, its very easy to get pollen on items hung outside to dry.

I hope this helps, I'm certainly no expert on allergies or pillows....i tend to work on composite manufacture items rather than commercial fibres.

regards,
andy

Composite Materials

andy mackay