Composite Materials/Questions Answered by Expert andy mackay

SubjectDate Asked
control of environment4/29/2016
  Q: In which instances is the control of temperature, moisture or different emissions important and ...
  A: it is important to keep raw materials dry,, this includes resins, dry cloths, pre-pregs and cores. ...
High temperature properties of composites12/15/2015
  Q: It is observed that composites materials properties vary with temperature. Ultem filled 50% with ...
  A: I'm not familiar with ULTEM sorry but understand it is a thermoplastic PEI-type material. ...
Military fabric and resin cups and plates7/24/2015
  Q: Good afternoon! When I was a small child, I seem to remember seeing cups and plates my uncles ...
  A: I haven't seen these items myself, but imagine the mould is coated in resin first, then cord laid ...
tube with ultrathin walls4/4/2015
  Q: Looking for possibility to produce tube length 35 mm ,OD 2.7 mm ,ID 2.5 mm . Ability to handle axial ...
  A: 0.1mm wall thickess is pretty slim all right! This equates to a single layer of 300gm/sqm e-glass ...
Recycled Polyester6/13/2014
  Q: I recently purchased a reading pillow that is stuffed with polyester fibers made from recycled ...
  A: there should be no volatile organic compounds in polyester pillow flock, but it is possible to be ...
hybridization of composite7/25/2013
  Q: this is vasant doing project on "coir & rice husk reinforced vinylester base hybrid composite ...
  A: in most composite matrices, it is the fibre carrying the majority of tensile loading. you could try ...
rudder/keel ?6/2/2013
  Q: Can you explain the construction of the boat to keel, and rudder?
  A: on pleasure craft, rudders are usually made of a fibre glass skin over a foam core, which in turn is ...
fabricatio of coir composite5/8/2013
  Q: I have problem in fabricating COIR COMPOSITE with VINYLESTER as a resin...I am using weight fraction ...
  A: So to get 10% fibre fraction, thats 90 grams of resin to 10 grams of fibre. To get 20% fibre ...
Wooden stacking chair design4/7/2013
  Q: I am a student studying final year product design at Brunel Universiy, London. I am designing a ...
  A: From what I do understand, I'm guessing you're going to bend the front legs to support the chair, ...
weight fraction2/17/2013
  Q: ..i want to put increasing weight percentage of coir to check where exactly is it shows optimum ...
  A: Please refer to link below; http://composite.about.com/library/glossary/f/bldef-f2200.htm If your ...
Kevlar tape fraying2/14/2013
  Q: how can we stop the edges from fraying, we are using this on the edge of a reflector liner/light ...
  A: Couple of suggestions; You can make the shield/liner so that the kevlar stops before the part edge, ...
infusion of carbon fiber FVF adjustment11/25/2012
  Q: I am attempting to fabricate a cosmetic near perfect carbon fiber part with that carbon under glass ...
  A: I'm surprised you're using polyester resin for the process - it typically does not bond well with ...
Composite technology11/22/2012
  Q: my name is moohan and i'm living in iran i have a small workshop about fiber glass composite. i ...
  A: Moulding techniques are; Wet layup (dry glass, apply wet resin layer upon layer and wet out) ...
glass fiber rope properties11/5/2012
  Q: I want to know about the mechanical properties of fiber glass rope, specially its modulus of ...
  A: I need a little more information about the fibre itself - is it in raw state, how many ends and ...
Carbon Fibre7/15/2012
  Q: I need to the answers to some very hard questions that I have been searching on the internet for ...
  A: Brief answer as below, Environmental issues relate to manufacture (feedstocks and process), usage ...
Composite materials for commercial aircraft6/8/2012
  Q: I stumble upon this website as I was searching for the type of composite materials used in Airbus ...
  A: CFRP = Carbon Fibre reinforced plastic - and in aircraft use this is thermoset plastic, typically ...
hard coating5/20/2012
  Q: My name is Edward.I m developing food industry device and one part of device is made ...
  A: you can unravel some filaments and wind them onto a small mandrel - assuming your ulterior motive is ...
fabrication composite3/12/2012
  Q: I have enquiry regarding fabricate a composite. I have a very limited fibres which I've produced by ...
  A: I'm not sure what you mean by limited fibres - do you mean they are short? Best to lay them up in ...
Biocomposite2/2/2012
  Q: Good day, i am doing research on biocomposite. In order to do my samples, i need to determine the ...
  A: Typically the formula used is fibre volume fractin - how much fibre is in a finished composite item. ...
latex substitute?11/28/2011
  Q: **i have to wear a post-op prescrip compression stocking (absolute support hosiery). **the package ...
  A: You might be able to ask the prescribing doctor or nurse - or the hospital/clinic you got the ...
Self-healing composite on helicopters11/17/2011
  Q: I am currently researching on a project at my university on adapting self-healing composites on a ...
  A: I did read something last year that discussed filling the fibreglass strand itself with a liquid ...
Bow Shipping Tube10/8/2011
  Q: I have a particular application and am looking for a low-cost solution. I'd value your advice. I ...
  A: Have you thought about using cardboard tube with perhaps a thin layer of fibreglass over the top? ...
Composite Hydraulic Telescopic Hoist9/2/2011
  Q: We have been working on a hydraulic telescopic hoist project designed for dump trailers for the past ...
  A: I'd need to see the specifications of the hoist, SWL, reach, and planned design before I could ...
Vacuum Infusion8/15/2011
  Q: I have a confusion. After the resin is totally infused, should the vacuum pump stay 'on' for the ...
  A: You need the vacuum pump on until the resin has cured ! The only time you would ever consider ...
CFRP4/25/2011
  Q: what would be the hardness number of CFRP? and which hardness test is usually employed? the resin ...
  A: The hardness is usually determined by a Barcol test or Vickers, Brinell or Rockwell. The hardness ...
standard for composite manhole top covers4/18/2011
  Q: is there any standard for chemical resistance of composite manhole topcovers? I mean that like ...
  A: No standard that I am aware of - perhaps you should check your loacl laws and regulations? If ...
MATERIAL PROPERTIES FOR GLASS FIBER3/19/2011
  Q: I am doing M.E ( cad/cam) in india....my final project is under composite materials....i need one ...
  A: I think this is a homework question - but can give you a few links to check out. Its a big subject ...
flexible resin in nylon based luggage3/1/2011
  Q: Andy, I found your expertise on other resin related question quite helpful. I am looking for a resin ...
  A: Couple of products you could try - but the problem may well be getting any resin based product to ...
Crazing vs cracks2/18/2011
  Q: In your opinion, would you consider crazing to be classified as a type of crack with regards to a ...
  A: I would define crazing as a type of crack, but in composite terms, it is usually (but not always) ...
Relative Humidity for Silk2/16/2011
  Q: Any chance that you happen to know the relative humidity range for silk? I'm trying to prevent the ...
  A: If you were to check the environmental humidity, I would imagine something like silk would very ...
Airbus and Boeing Aircraft Structural Composites2/7/2011
  Q: Airbus and Boeing are two companies using more and more composite materials in their aircraft ...
  A: I wasn't aware of any structural failures with regard to composite materials in modern airliners - ...
Regarding, info about the composite CFRP2/2/2011
  Q: Sir, I'm a final year undergraduate engineering student in ME, I'm searching some info about the ...
  A: There are many types of carbon fibre, and many types of reinforcing plastic (ie. epoxy, BMI, ...
Fiberglass Strenght1/4/2011
  Q: I am making a fiberglass swim platform for my boat. It is 7 foot wide by 24 inches deep. How thick ...
  A: If weight isn't an issue - would suggest you use 18mm plywood (marine grade = BS1088) and glass over ...
Compressing Foams12/30/2010
  Q: Is it true that after we compress foam for quite a long time it is not goes back to the initial ...
  A: Foam CAN be crushed if too much force is applied (especially compressive). This can be prevented by ...
Typical FRP Properties12/5/2010
  Q: I have been scouring the web to look for FRP properties, I have found fragmented information (found ...
  A: You dont mention which fibre or resin system you plan to use, but if underwater (Boat? Mining ...
Properties needed11/28/2010
  Q: I am a grad student doing my thesis on composite material.I need mass density of the following ...
  A: You should be able to find all this info in the manufacturers Material Safety Data Sheet or ...
Making a thin fibreglass mould to help release, then reinforcing it.10/19/2010
  Q: I have 2 questions I would love to have answered! I'm thinking about helping the release of my ...
  A: as if you do, and then laminate again, the resin shrinkage will distort the part as the 2nd laminant ...
Composite strength10/18/2010
  Q: have been trying to work out the composite layup for LRTM that will achieve a tensile strenght of ...
  A: Wow - pretty thin then - not much use looking at sandwich structures. I'd recommend doing a couple ...
Zeppelin Body prototype9/30/2010
  Q: thinking about a proof of concept for lighter than air vehicle. Not sure if composite material can ...
  A: Not sure if you're planning on helium or hydrogen for the gas - hydrogen is a tricky thing to ...
Autoclave cure8/1/2010
  Q: Has anyone come across curing of dry fiber/wet resin after hand lay up in autoclave? Is autoclave ...
  A: You can manufacture your own pre-preg by using a LONG open time resin and wet out the dry glass with ...
Carbon Fiber-Reinforced Plastic7/21/2010
  Q: My lecturer asked me to find their properties (mechanical and chemical), types that are used in ...
  A: The mechanical properties of carbon reinforced plastic (CFRP) comes from BOTH the resin system used ...
Polyerythene Foam Rubber making7/8/2010
  Q: I have spent hours trawling through the internet and I am absolutely no closer to the solution as ...
  A: I take it you have no problem making a 6-piece split mould in gelcoat and fibreglass using standard ...
tempered glass shelf strength4/30/2010
  Q: I want to place a glass shelf in between two walls . the length of the tempered glass shelf is 60 ...
  A: You will need the glass manufacturers mechanical qualities of the tempered glass to be able to make ...
Engineering Materials4/2/2010
  Q: The hardness of a metal specimen was tested on a Brinell hardness-testing machine usins the standard ...
  A: Sorry for the delay in replying Anthony - I'm sorry to report that composite materials aren't ...
Carbon fibre and Aramid3/16/2010
  Q: I am designing a car chassis sub frame with Carbon fibre as the material. Is it possible to combine ...
  A: Yes you can use aramid and carbon fibre together - some materials combine the two into the one ...
A class spar3/11/2010
  Q: I broke my A-class 'Fiberfoam' spar. A clean break which I will fix. My question is, what is the ...
  A: if the core is foam and is damaged, this can be replaced or repaired with a straight butt joint ...
material for shaft design3/5/2010
  Q: I'm a mechanical engineering student and I have to design a shaft which will be used in an outdoor ...
  A: so my answer will be general. I believe the best option given your scenario is to use a steel ...
density2/10/2010
  Q: i like density (lbs/in3) of gmg fiberglass?
  A: I'm not sure what "gmg" glass is - so will be general in my answer. The easiest way to calculate ...
composite meterials11/30/2009
  Q: What is the Defination of Composite materials
  A: composite materials are those made up of two or more parts. Concrete is a composite material = ...
Compositematerials11/17/2009
  Q: What are the measures that is taken to protect the surface of glass fibres ? and What are the 4 ...
  A: Glass fibres are protected in the manufacturing process by coating with a "finish" which aids in ...
Composite car body11/14/2009
  Q: I am trying to make a car body out of composites. At first I only wanted to use carbon fiber, but ...
  A: You can use carbon and glass together - but carbon really works best with epoxy or at least ...
Boat11/12/2009
  Q: I would like to make a boat 6 meter long, and about 1.5 meter wide( vacuum infusion )!From outside 2 ...
  A: I would use a heavier laminant on the bottom (hull) progressing to a lighter laminant on the top ...
Attaching sheets of carbon fiber together11/12/2009
  Q: I am wondering how to attach two solid sheets of finished carbon fiber together along a straight ...
  A: If you want to butt joint (along an edge) the best way is to cut a v-groove in the top and bottom ...
composite mast construction10/3/2009
  Q: I am building a 47 foot catamaran in Mauritius and I have always looked at idea of building a ...
  A: Rig construction would depend on material and resin selection - would suggest talking with a ...
DMC9/22/2009
  Q: A customer has asked me what plastic material, preferably available in rod would substitute for DMC. ...
  A: You could purchase off the shelf a nylon or PPE product, alternately, manufacture one by pultrusion ...
best way to handle polyurethane foam waste9/9/2009
  Q: I have some leftover polyurethane foam scraped off of automobile insides and I wonder what's the ...
  A: I understand there are some companies actively recycling htis type of material - typically dissolved ...
fiberglass yacht mast8/27/2009
  Q: I need to replace my wharram mast. Plans spec alu 127mm dia. 3mm wall, 7.5m tall.. Does it make any ...
  A: You could use fibreglass if you choose, however I would recommend carbon unidirectionals and ...
Inspection8/19/2009
  Q: We have made some cross sections of 1.5 by 1.5 cm composite material imbedded in EpoFix (Struers) ...
  A: I dont confess to expertise in PEEK or Epofix, but I can tell you that Rocol make a product that we ...
Non destructive testing of FGR pipe8/13/2009
  Q: I intend to perform X-ray radiography of a FGR epoxy pipe, 9 mm wall thickness, operating at 10 MPa ...
  A: We use a product called Rocol Flawfinder here in New Zealand. I'm not sure what brand of product ...
gel coat7/31/2009
  Q: I'm a little embarrassed to tell you this but I damn near burned up my boat! Its a fiberglass hull, ...
  A: Accidents happen - dont worry too much. You will need to check if the resin has been burnt or ...
flexible resin7/10/2009
  Q: I have been searching for a while trying to learn about a resin that will remain flexible/bendable. ...
  A: You could try using a rubber-toughened epoxy, vinylester or polyester, however I'm not sure that the ...
Plastics changing color with attrition7/6/2009
  Q: I am an undergraduate student, currently doing a project on design where I am required to work on a ...
  A: The only way I can think of to do this with composite materials (thermoset) instead of plastic ...
best tool to scrape off polyurethane7/5/2009
  Q: I've been building car roofs and I filled the interior of the roofs with hard polyurethane foam, but ...
  A: Yep nasty stuff that hard polyurethane foam sin't it? Its pretty tough on the skin and lungs ...
composite wet lay up7/2/2009
  Q: How difficult should it be to peel individual layers apart after doing a wet layup? I have been ...
  A: Usually the lack of interlaminar bonding comes from either some sort of contamination (can be excess ...
Can residual stress/strain of SMC/BMC composites be measured directly by X-ray diffraction?6/24/2009
  Q: I've come across an interesting statement that because both fibre and matrix are non-crystalline in ...
  A: Nice technical question - I suspect your expertise in engineering composites probably greater than ...
All composite boat building materials5/30/2009
  Q: I have been wanting to find out what materials are used in todays all composite boats. What do they ...
  A: Stringers made from either epoxy coated plywood covered with fibreglass, or fibreglass covered foam. ...
aeronautical5/29/2009
  Q: i am doing a project and a paper on composites used in aircarft's fuselage deisgn, Could you please ...
  A: Most composite fuselages are made by either filament winding on male mandrels or autoclaving hand ...
smart materials5/27/2009
  Q: please could you tell me some process or post production process that smart materials would got ...
  A: Smart materials generally mean either memory metals or ones with special properties. I'm not ...
Standard for Composite manhole Covers5/21/2009
  Q: Is there any quality control (International Standard for manufacturing Composite manhole Covers) ...
  A: Good question Shahid - fibre to resin rations or fibre fraction generally depends on the ...
Material Choice5/17/2009
  Q: I am a student. I have a school project for which I am designing a second pair of wings for a ...
  A: Interesting idea Sofia....the idea of additional wing area when required has been looked at but few ...
Glass shelves5/4/2009
  Q: I want to install a tempered glass shelf, 16 inches wide by 72 inches long. It will be supported by ...
  A: sorry richard - no idea of the structural properties of tempered glass - suggest you try a google ...
composite materials4/15/2009
  Q: what are the applications of composite materials in automobile and marine field?
  A: Will try to list the applications I'm familiar with Automotive Body Panels Underbody Kits Front and ...
temperted glass4/6/2009
  Q: I want to put in a 2'x2' 3/8" corner shelves in my kitchen cabinets. Does the glass have to be ...
  A: Whether the glass should be tempered depends on what kind of loading it will be subject to - I would ...
is rubber totally impermeable2/16/2009
  Q: this is probably a stupid question, but i heard that rubber isn't impermiable to gases, do you know ...
  A: I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer on this - rubber is a fairly generic and very widely ...
Composite Manhole Cover1/17/2009
  Q: Hye Andy Im a student currently studying in composite technology here in Malaysia.Me n my group ...
  A: I have not seen existing composite manhole covers, but would advise following.... Need significant ...
inquirey12/7/2008
  Q: Identify a composite material used to fabricate parts or components in transportation applications ...
  A: Materials used to fabricate parts or components in tranpostation applications include glass fibre, ...
composite ageing12/2/2008
  Q: I am currently working on the maintenance of composite parts and so i am focusing my work on ...
  A: Big Topic Emilie - composite degradation usually through following methods; Exposure to UV tends to ...
about fibre glass products10/27/2008
  Q: I'm from Myanmar,South East Asia. I'd like to know all things how to make fibreglass products such ...
  A: There are many ways to make fibreglass products, you can either make them off a male mould (or ...
Polyester fibre glass10/6/2008
  Q: I would like to know how to decide what orientation of fibres is best for a particular application. ...
  A: For panel this size, I'd recommend placing the fibres parallel to the intended load. For a panel of ...

All Questions in This Category

Composite Materials

andy mackay

Top Expert on this page