Computational Biology / Bioinformatics/Epigenetics & Eugenics

I hope you can help me with this topic. I'm in the process of taking notes for an upcoming book I'm doing for a young adult series. It's a fourth in the series. The 4th book deals with a group of scientists hired by a man to create a super race of beings. Basically starting what the nazis had stopped. There will be some history in the book as well.

Getting back to the subject... I have a friend on Facebook and we were talking about different ways I could have this accomplished. I had came up with Eugenics and he had suggested of also mixing Epigenetic with it. Eventually using eugenics to gather sample genetic material the scientists want in a person. then activate the genes and ensure the traits they want are shown. Can this be possible to do in the fictional world? If so, what type of process is involved? In my books, I try to get everything as real as possibly can. So any help you can provide me is welcomed greatly.

This is outside my expertise. A molecular biologist/geneticist should be able to answer this.

However, in my opinion, theoritically it is possible to activate or suppress genes. There are mechanisms for this which work in a lab setting. It has been possible to express in a controlled way certain simple charecteristics (like color, hair, etc) in lab animals, like mice.  There are ways to do this like chemical inducers, antisense RNA, etc. However, it is difficult to fully avoid or even know what are the side effects. The human genome, gene expression and resulting traits is very complex, especially when we are talking about behavioural qualities.

I don't think we know or ever make an ideal super human being (except in fiction ofcourse). 99.99% of genome of all human beings is same, and all humans have genetic traits that are both advantageous or disadvantageous with respect to their geographical location and climatic, economic conditions. For a super human we have to combine the good traits from all world human populations.

Computational Biology / Bioinformatics

Sridhar Acharya Malkaram

Sequence and Structural Analysis, Next generation sequencing, Illumina, SOLiD, CHiP-sequencing, RNA sequencing, miRNA sequencing analysis, Molecular Dynamics, Protein and Nucleic acid simulations, computational methods, Bioinformatics tools, Biological Databases, Search techniques, Protein comparative modelling, Mutation analysis

about fifteen (15) years

Bachelor of Science in Agriculture Master of Science in Biotechnology Ph.D in computational Biology