Computational Biology / Bioinformatics/Water Affinity.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr Syed

Observation from my side : My 2 years, 7 months old son has a great Water affinity/liking. He likes to always play with water and would like to come near to water whenever he gets a chance.

Just for my curiosity, can this be linked to any genetic factors
or any other biological reason ?

Do all children of around this ages have the same liking
for water ?

Some inputs from my side :

I am not a Swimmer. I do not know Swimming.
My wife knows swimming.
My two sisters do not know swimming.
My brother in law and sister in law from wife's side know swimming.
My parents were not swimmers.
My Father in law knows swimming.

if you require any more data, i can provide you the same.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Dear Prashant,
Children of that particular age showing great interest towards water is quiet a natural process. It is purely the nature of the water. It does not have any biological or genetic reason. It ha s to be noted that children love to play in emotionally exciting ways. Between 2 and 4 years children should be exposed to such kind of plays where the can practice many skills that are crucial for healthy development.

Dr. K. Syed

QUESTION: Dear Dr Syed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic

Thank you.

Still, the question remains, Can this be linked to any Genetic Factors ?.
My son has great affinity for water and because of this he has common cold many times, as he always wants to play with water and we had been to doctor for curing the common cold.

As you see with the data provided, a child inherits characteristics, behavior from his father, mother including grandfathers, grandmothers, uncles, aunts etc.

This is Genetics isn't it ?

Now as you see, from my side i.e. myself, my parents, my sisters do not swimming, but my wife, her parents, her brother, sister are good swimmers.

Can we say the my son has inherited the water affinity from my wife's side as they all are good swimmers ?

Now another question comes is all babies with 2years, 6months age do have the same water affinity /liking/fondness like my son ?. He has tremendous affinity for water.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Dear Prashant,
Your knowledge on genetics is right but your son's affinity to water cannot correlated to the genetic factor. And cold is with the poor immunity and dust.

As I said earlier it is a natural one. After a year or two, this affinity will definitely be reduced. If is it to be genetic factor, it should not happen. If your son, at this age, is proficient in swimming, then it can be correlated to the genetic factor.

Moreover, learning to swim, is not just as a result of affinity to water. It is purely the exposure. People in villages are mostly swimmer, because they more access to ponds and rivers, than the people in cities having access to swimming pools.

Then 2 year child and a 6 month baby will not have same fondness to water. At the early stage though they like playing with water, they cry while taking bath. This will also in due course change.

Syed

Computational Biology / Bioinformatics

K Syed Ibrahim