Computational Biology / Bioinformatics/Leukemia - Blood Cancer.

Dear Sophia

Is Leukemia - Blood Cancer a hereditary or genetic Disease?.

Right now, doctors and scientists havenít been able to figure out the exact cause of Leukemia, in part because there are different types of Leukemia.  Leukemia   isnít just one diseases, but a group of different cancers.  What they all have in common is that they begin in the bone marrow and create an abnormally high number of white blood cells.

While we still arenít sure of the exact cause of Leukemia , we do know that development of the disease appears to have both an environmental and a genetic component.  For example, studies have found that smoking and exposure to radiation and certain chemicals appears to increase the chances of developing Leukemia.  In addition, a person with a close relative who has been diagnosed with Leukemia has a higher than average chance of developing the cancer themselves.

Computational Biology / Bioinformatics

Sophia Jane Carter

I can answer basic questions related to heritable diseases, and moderate level questions regarding genetics and biology in general. Please, no questions on what your future children will look like. I will happily answer questions regarding the inheritance of hair or eye colour, genetic diseases, genetic traits, etc..., but anything phrased as "I look like X and my partner look like Y; what will our baby look like?" will be sent to the question pool.

For a year I served as a intern in a plant genetics laboratory, in addition to having completed a very tough biology curriculum.

I have a BA in anthropology (focus on biological anthropology) from UC Berkeley.