Computer Certification/Hey

Hey John,

I'm majoring in Networking at my community college. To be more specific, I'm trying to obtain an A.S. degree as a 'Cisco Network Professional.' A lot of people I've spoken with have said that getting an Associate's degree is the same as a Certificate, in other words, pointless. Not unless you have a Bachelors.  Of course, the main thing I'm worried about is spending all my time getting an Associate's when it'll be worth nothing to employers.  Am I wasting my time? Also, is this even a good degree or should I just go for Network Administration?

Hey Ed -

Getting to know Cisco is a good thing, but I would advise against being a 'one-trick-pony' engineer.  Getting to know the basics and fundamentals of networking is far better.  The reason for this is, every vendor out there (juniper, cisco, etc) all have their own proprietary rules and protocols they put out there, but knowing how the RFC rules should work is just as valid.

I'd suggest going for a general network degree.  It will be more useful overall, plus with the knowledge you'll get, you'll be a lot more ready for further certifications.

I'd suggest going after your Net+, Security+, and CCNA/JNCIA certifications as well; that combined with your Associates will look good on a resume.

Computer Certification

John Palmer

I'm certified as an A and Network Technician, and I can help explain the theory and praticality of any of the questions you might have in the study of these fields. I've had my A for 10 years, and Network plus was recently obtained

I've been an IT technician for 10 years, as well as a printer technician.

MCP in NT Workstation/Server, A and Network certified.