Computer Goods/Electronics/capicator substitution

Question
can one substitute a nonpolorized ceramic or Mylar capacitor for polarized electrolytic capacitor.  this is for an audio circuit.  .01uf   250v.

Answer
Hi Steve,
In most cases the answer is no. Nonpolarized capacitors are used in DC and AC environments
while polarized capacitors are used only in DC environment.
I would guess that changing a nonpolarized capacitor to a polarized capacitor - assuming
you know how to connect the polarized capacitor correctly and that it is a DC environment-
might affect the audio quality.
DC vs. AC is not the only parameter to consider. You should also consider the ESR of the
capacitor.

Hope I helped clarify this issue.

Aviva

Computer Goods/Electronics

Aviva Shalem