Computer Goods/Electronics/Motherboard

Hi, I've never build my own computer before but I want to upgrade my current computer by getting a new chip and graphics card. However, I need to get a new motherboard. My question is this. If my stock computer uses a micro ATX motherboard, I should get the same type if I'm planning on using the same shell, correct?

correct, be aware that if its a name-brand computer (like HP or Dell) the new motherboard might not fit. There are plenty of cheap cases on the market (I go to and look through their cases first) if you need to change the case out.

Also there are quite a few videos on youtube, Newegg has a series that I'd recommend watching:

Also when you choose your parts I would highly recommend going to to pick out your motherboard and processor, they have already done the leg-work and know what works with what.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Computer Goods/Electronics

Art Miller

I have been a volunteer on this site since 2001, I have since completed my BS in computer science (with a minor in math and physics), I also run my own business fixing computers and tutoring people.

I have built my own computer, I manage about 5 web sites (all mine), I have taken many computer classes at school (including Visual Basic programming basic and advanced), and I subscribe to PC Gamer and read their reviews about new games and hardware.

Boy Scouts of America, North West Steam Society

4 years of High School, where I enrolled in a year of Visual Basic Programming, and 3 years of Computer Drafting.
5 years of Community College, where I enrolled in almost all of the programming courses offered
4 years of University, where I majored in Computer Science and minored in math and physics.

Eagle Award (Boy Scouts)