Computer Goods/Electronics/MDU1516 Mosfet smoking

This is on an HP 702176-501 motherboard in a HP Envy M6-1205dx laptop.

Laptop was bought on e-bay for parts or not working. I found it had a broken screen and no charger. I bought both and the laptop was working, fan was running.

Doing what I normally do with these laptops I add RAM, an SSD, upgrade the CPU if possible and clean the CPU cooler and apply new thermal paste.

I was testing the new RAM one stick failed HP's built in test so I ran Memorytest 86 v6, which the same stick failed. the other stick passed both tests in the same slot or slot 1. I was testing a second time as I was getting ready to return the RAM and wanted to be sure and suddenly the computer shut down. I turned it on again and got ready to test then saw a whiff of smoke. Further investigation shows solder bubbling on one side of a mosfet (MDU1516). PQ2001 is the motherboard manufacturers number printed below this mosfet on the PCB. The mosfet is one of five grouped near the rear side of the CPU socket. Each has eight connections to the PCB only the bottom four had solder bubbling on PQ2001. My guess is that these are the power mosfets for the CPU.

As a side note: Early on I had removed about a tablespoon of Thermal Interface Material from the CPU and heatsink. A huge amount. It was touching many of the components of the CPU. I cleaned with alcohol and replaced that with a more reasonable amount, 3/16 diameter blob in the center and tightened the heat sink on following the 1,2,3,4 sequence. The laptop was running fine and I could feel the fan was dissipating lots of heat from the exhaust port.

My question is: if I replace that mosfet is that likely to fix the problem? Did the fan stop at some point and I didn't realize it? Is it a problem in the charging circuit like a bad power supply?

you can try replacing the mosfet, however I think there might be more wrong with it than just a bad chip.

Usually when motherboards fail its due to a much bigger problem (lots of capacitors, bad components, etc), I've seen them where some desktops will pop half the capacitors on the motherboard and keep running, others I've seen 1 or 2 pop and the computer refuses to turn on. over all I'd say save your time and money and get another computer.

Computer Goods/Electronics

Art Miller

I have been a volunteer on this site since 2001, I have since completed my BS in computer science (with a minor in math and physics), I also run my own business fixing computers and tutoring people.

I have built my own computer, I manage about 5 web sites (all mine), I have taken many computer classes at school (including Visual Basic programming basic and advanced), and I subscribe to PC Gamer and read their reviews about new games and hardware.

Boy Scouts of America, North West Steam Society

4 years of High School, where I enrolled in a year of Visual Basic Programming, and 3 years of Computer Drafting.
5 years of Community College, where I enrolled in almost all of the programming courses offered
4 years of University, where I majored in Computer Science and minored in math and physics.

Eagle Award (Boy Scouts)