Computer Law/CA email privacy laws

My ex has apparently been accessing my email. I'm still gathering data, but it appears he got my password and has been accessing my personal email accounts (not the one I used for the form here, of course). This may have been going on for years.

We have some IP data showing his access.

He has not threatened me, but has a history of irrational acts.

What California and Federal laws apply to what he has done?
Can others bring an action for what he has done (those who emailed me or whom I emailed, I mean)?
Should I confront him and ask him to cop to it or is that a bad idea for any future investigation?
Is my only option to call the police?

Thank you.

Good Afternoon,

You could confront him, but that might cause him to take actions that would become more harmful (deleting your data, locking you out of your own accounts and so on.) You can bring civil action against him for violation of your right to privacy, but third party suits are generally not permitted.

Cal. Penal Code Section 502 is what covers it in Cal.

I would highly suggest letting the police in on this one, let them gather all the evidence for you, bring charges if they decide to and even if they don't you can use all the data they can gather (which is more than you can) you can use in a civil case.

So I would call the police and report an unauthorized entry into a Computer and or Network, in viiolation of Penal Code 502, and then let them do all the work. Take that work and use it if you so chose in a civil action.

Hope this helps..

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner

I can answer questions concerning Computer Crime Investigations and Internet investigations including Computer Crime Laws both at the State level and Federal level. I can answer questions on almost any crime in which a computer is used. In addition I can answer questions concerning copywrite infringement (peer to peer, and copying). I served as a police Commander and conducted and still conduct Computer Crime Investigations at the Local, State and Federal level. I have investigated all most any kind of crime with which or which involved a computer and the internet, from murders, kidnappings, extortion, drug dealing and more. I can answer questions concerning Computer Forensics (the art of recovering information from a suspects computer), Computer Crime Investigations and Internet Investigations. I am a Federally Court Recognized Expert in Computer Crime and Computer Forensics. I have worked in both Facebook and MySPace, also in Peer to Peer investigations. In addition I can answer questions concerning child predators and how to make your children safer on-line. I teach Computer Forensics, Internet Investigations, Peer to Peer Investigations and other computer crime related subjects for several colleges and the Institute of Police Technology and Management. My hobby webpage - Military Videos -

I conduct computer crime investigations in conjunction with the F.B.I., Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Gainesville Police Department, and University of Florida Police Department, Levi County Sheriff’s Office, Starke Police Department and other agencies in the North Florida Court District. I provide the forensic data recovery services for those agencies as well as internet tracing and information gathering. I am a Federal Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime Investigations and Forensics. I teach Computer Forensics for the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. I also teach Computer Crime courses for Tallahassee Community College, Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Training Center. Associate Instructor; teach Computer Crime courses thorough out the world for IPTM. Presently Teach Cyber Crime Investigations, Computer Crime Investigations and Computer Forensic Data Recovery Course.

2 Degrees in Criminal Justice, now teach college level Data Forensics classes

Awarded the FBI Directors Award for assisting the FBI in a National Computer Crime Investigation. Awarded Dec 2002