Computer Law/Google Instant Messaging

I have Employee A who went into Employee B's computer, and copied Employee B's Google Instant Message chat, that they were having with me.  Employee A went also used Employee B's email to send the copied messages to herself.  She has told management that Employee B, sent her the emails, however, Employee B was out of the office at an appointment, and has provided documentation showing this.

You forgot to ask a question..

I think you meant to ask if this is illegal and the answer is yes. Using or accessing anyones accounts either local (business) or online like Google Instant messaging, is illegal and can and should be reported to the police as soon as possible. Its called un-authorized acccess to a computer and or network and a felony in some states.

You should also make the company aware of the fact that its a crime and if they do not report it for you (since it was on thier computers she did this) since it was your account (or Employye B's) that was "hacked" then that person will repor it to the police. Reading your description again it seems like it was employee B's computer that was accessed so they would be the one to report it to the police.

Hope that helps. The sooner its reported the better.

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner

I can answer questions concerning Computer Crime Investigations and Internet investigations including Computer Crime Laws both at the State level and Federal level. I can answer questions on almost any crime in which a computer is used. In addition I can answer questions concerning copywrite infringement (peer to peer, and copying). I served as a police Commander and conducted and still conduct Computer Crime Investigations at the Local, State and Federal level. I have investigated all most any kind of crime with which or which involved a computer and the internet, from murders, kidnappings, extortion, drug dealing and more. I can answer questions concerning Computer Forensics (the art of recovering information from a suspects computer), Computer Crime Investigations and Internet Investigations. I am a Federally Court Recognized Expert in Computer Crime and Computer Forensics. I have worked in both Facebook and MySPace, also in Peer to Peer investigations. In addition I can answer questions concerning child predators and how to make your children safer on-line. I teach Computer Forensics, Internet Investigations, Peer to Peer Investigations and other computer crime related subjects for several colleges and the Institute of Police Technology and Management. My hobby webpage - Military Videos -

I conduct computer crime investigations in conjunction with the F.B.I., Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Gainesville Police Department, and University of Florida Police Department, Levi County Sheriff’s Office, Starke Police Department and other agencies in the North Florida Court District. I provide the forensic data recovery services for those agencies as well as internet tracing and information gathering. I am a Federal Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime Investigations and Forensics. I teach Computer Forensics for the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. I also teach Computer Crime courses for Tallahassee Community College, Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Training Center. Associate Instructor; teach Computer Crime courses thorough out the world for IPTM. Presently Teach Cyber Crime Investigations, Computer Crime Investigations and Computer Forensic Data Recovery Course.

2 Degrees in Criminal Justice, now teach college level Data Forensics classes

Awarded the FBI Directors Award for assisting the FBI in a National Computer Crime Investigation. Awarded Dec 2002