Computer Law/hacked email password

Question
QUESTION: N.Y.C. A woman who has paid an online hacker for a password wants to send a video of her & the person whos email was hacked to his girlfriend using his hacked account. It is a very explicit video of him and her in bed. She wants to send this to his girlfriend so she knows he is cheating and also knows the woman will open it thinking it's from her boyfriend.
I told her not to dp it. What would the penalty for this be?
They both will know who sent it due to the fact she is the only other person in the video.

ANSWER: Good Afternoon Jay,

Tell her not to do it, as in New York it is a felony to do so. Hacking into someone else's account is a crime that is being investigated more and more and prosecuted more and more. If she wants to give her the video why not place it on a DVD and then just leave for her somewhere or mail it to her? That way no crime has been committed.

QUESTION: I told her the same and just confirmed your answer to her, however she asked that since she has stolen nothing and this would be a nuisince more than anything, what are the chances that the state/city would spend all that money to prosicute something as foolish/silly as this?
She really seems to want to do this!!!
Thanks

Answer
Good Morning Jay,

She is actually stealing something, and that is the password to the account and the service and use of the account. So what she is doing is actually theft. In addition to that there is the mental "anguish" that can be caused by something like this that can turn into a civil lawsuit at a later time and cost are quite a bit of money. So not only can she be arrested for this she can also be sued. And yes the police do investigate this type of crime because it's very easy to prosecute the people involved as tracing this type of activity has become so easy for law enforcement that we do it on a routine basis. We submit cases almost daily to the state attorney's office for hacking Facebook and Gmail accounts and such. And they take them and prosecute them because they are black and white and easy to prove cases.

If she decides to do this she is looking at anywhere from 3 to 5 years probation with a hefty fine and possible civil lawsuit pressed against her. It's just not worth it.

I hope you are able to convince her not to do this as she just asking for trouble. Not only can she be charge of the computer crime but because she's having someone else do it she can be charged with conspiracy to commit a felony in the state and that is a second charge which would result in even more time added to her sentence if she's convicted.

Hope this answers your question.

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner