Computer Law/Personal Information on sold hard drive

Question
My business was recently seized by the state of Massachusetts.  As part of the seizure, the business computer was sold at auction.  A former employee has contacted me asking if his personal information was on the hard drive of the computer and if so was the hard drive destroyed or removed prior to the sale.  The computer was sold with the original hard drive intact and all the personal information for myself and past employees on the hard drive.

Do I have any legal rights in this matter and can I file suit against those parties responsible.

Answer
Good Morning James,

You would have to be old to prove that the state had some sort of negligence and that there was actual recoverable data on the hard drive as it was sold. You have to get hold of the computer and the hard drive and have it forensically examined. They would then need to recover any data that would be usable for things like identity theft or other issues on your employees and yourself. If that's the case then you may have a civil lawsuit for negligence. Other than that you're going to have a hard time proving that the state sold the computer with the information intact.

Once you get hold of the hard drive of the computer and get examined then you'll know whether or not you have a case.

Sorry for all the trouble you're running into.

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner