Computer Law/Invasion of privacy and subsequent distribution of private message material

Hi there, I'm I'm the middle of a nasty custody and access proceeding and just learned that my ex-husband accessed my Facebook account without my consent via my 8 year old daughter's iPod touch (my Facebook account had unfortunately still been "logged in") and then proceeded to take 32 pages of screenshots of my PRIVATE messages on Facebook with various friends in an attempt to tarnish my reputation in court. He shared this with his lawyer (without my consent, of course) who in turn passed this data along unwittingly to the other litigators involved in this case.
I'm in Canada, and I haven't found a lot of information about this but feel fairly confident that not only is what he did truly illegal, but that his lawyer (whom I feel doesn't even know these were private messages, NOT public timeline posts) is also liable for sharing all of this material as well.
Can you help at all?
I should note that none of the material was criminal in nature; more personal discussions he clearly did not enjoy reading but were never intended for anyone to read but the intended audience I was conversing with at the time.  They, too, upon learning of this breach are upset that THEIR private conversations have now become fodder for discussion.
Hoping you can help.

Hi there,

You should contact the RCMP and report an "unauthorized access to a computer/ Network". Thats a fancy name for getting into someones account without permission, its also illegal. Once you report the occurrence, your ex may end up being charged, and any materials he gained is considered "poison fruits" for court purposes and cannot be used in any legal proceeding.

You also may have a separate civil case against him and may use this as a bargaining chip in your custody battle. Also your friends who's privacy was violated may also have a civil case against him.

Check with your lawyer of course, but I would file the police report at the least to use that as a tool if needed. How would it look for him to go into court and present documents that were found during the commission of a crime? Not good for him.

Let me know how it goes.

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner

I can answer questions concerning Computer Crime Investigations and Internet investigations including Computer Crime Laws both at the State level and Federal level. I can answer questions on almost any crime in which a computer is used. In addition I can answer questions concerning copywrite infringement (peer to peer, and copying). I served as a police Commander and conducted and still conduct Computer Crime Investigations at the Local, State and Federal level. I have investigated all most any kind of crime with which or which involved a computer and the internet, from murders, kidnappings, extortion, drug dealing and more. I can answer questions concerning Computer Forensics (the art of recovering information from a suspects computer), Computer Crime Investigations and Internet Investigations. I am a Federally Court Recognized Expert in Computer Crime and Computer Forensics. I have worked in both Facebook and MySPace, also in Peer to Peer investigations. In addition I can answer questions concerning child predators and how to make your children safer on-line. I teach Computer Forensics, Internet Investigations, Peer to Peer Investigations and other computer crime related subjects for several colleges and the Institute of Police Technology and Management. My hobby webpage - Military Videos -

I conduct computer crime investigations in conjunction with the F.B.I., Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Gainesville Police Department, and University of Florida Police Department, Levi County Sheriff’s Office, Starke Police Department and other agencies in the North Florida Court District. I provide the forensic data recovery services for those agencies as well as internet tracing and information gathering. I am a Federal Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime Investigations and Forensics. I teach Computer Forensics for the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. I also teach Computer Crime courses for Tallahassee Community College, Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Training Center. Associate Instructor; teach Computer Crime courses thorough out the world for IPTM. Presently Teach Cyber Crime Investigations, Computer Crime Investigations and Computer Forensic Data Recovery Course.

2 Degrees in Criminal Justice, now teach college level Data Forensics classes

Awarded the FBI Directors Award for assisting the FBI in a National Computer Crime Investigation. Awarded Dec 2002