Computer Law/Possible obstruction of justice and invasion of privacy

QUESTION: Hi, 18 months ago, I sold my business. For six years prior to the sale of the business I had a business and personal email account using the name of the business. Post sale, it was changed. Any emails that came to the old email address were forwarded to my new email address. The new owners in an apparent effort to prevent me from accessing evidence from my old account deleted my old email address from the web based supplier without my consent. Do I have any recourse?

Thank you,

ANSWER: Good Morning,

I do not see any violation of the law here. They did not delete the account if I am reading correctly, only removed it from a suppliers data base. That would be normal in the course of conducting business of the type you had I am guessing. I do not see where this would be any violation of Obstructing Justice or Invasion of your privacy, sorry. I do not see any recourse on your end.

QUESTION: I evidently did not make my question clear.  They did in fact delete the entire account without my permission or notifying me.

OK I understand that. You refer to evidence on your old account, evidence of what? And the web based supplier your talking about, was that related to the business? And your saying they deleted it from the data base, not that they deleted the account itself. You still have the e-mail account right? Just not access to the supplier data base, and that was something through the business I am guessing is that right? If so then they would have the right to remove that account from the data base as a regular part of the business, since your no longer part of it. Correct me if I am wrong or explain it more please so I have the complete picture.

Computer Law

Chris Wagoner

I can answer questions concerning Computer Crime Investigations and Internet investigations including Computer Crime Laws both at the State level and Federal level. I can answer questions on almost any crime in which a computer is used. In addition I can answer questions concerning copywrite infringement (peer to peer, and copying). I served as a police Commander and conducted and still conduct Computer Crime Investigations at the Local, State and Federal level. I have investigated all most any kind of crime with which or which involved a computer and the internet, from murders, kidnappings, extortion, drug dealing and more. I can answer questions concerning Computer Forensics (the art of recovering information from a suspects computer), Computer Crime Investigations and Internet Investigations. I am a Federally Court Recognized Expert in Computer Crime and Computer Forensics. I have worked in both Facebook and MySPace, also in Peer to Peer investigations. In addition I can answer questions concerning child predators and how to make your children safer on-line. I teach Computer Forensics, Internet Investigations, Peer to Peer Investigations and other computer crime related subjects for several colleges and the Institute of Police Technology and Management. My hobby webpage - Military Videos -

I conduct computer crime investigations in conjunction with the F.B.I., Alachua County Sheriff’s Office, Gainesville Police Department, and University of Florida Police Department, Levi County Sheriff’s Office, Starke Police Department and other agencies in the North Florida Court District. I provide the forensic data recovery services for those agencies as well as internet tracing and information gathering. I am a Federal Court Certified Expert in Computer Crime Investigations and Forensics. I teach Computer Forensics for the University of North Florida, Institute of Police Technology and Management. I also teach Computer Crime courses for Tallahassee Community College, Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Training Center. Associate Instructor; teach Computer Crime courses thorough out the world for IPTM. Presently Teach Cyber Crime Investigations, Computer Crime Investigations and Computer Forensic Data Recovery Course.

2 Degrees in Criminal Justice, now teach college level Data Forensics classes

Awarded the FBI Directors Award for assisting the FBI in a National Computer Crime Investigation. Awarded Dec 2002