Computer Science/Frontside Bus

Question
Hi Jeff, please could you explain very simply for me (in just a few lines if possible) if the the frontside bus includes the address bus (which the CPU uses to communicate with the RAM) and the control bus? Or it completely separate from these other two buses?

Thanks very much.

Answer
Steph:

A front-side bus (FSB) is a computer communication interface (bus) often used in Intel-chip-based computers during the 1990s and 2000s. The competing EV6 bus served the same function for AMD CPUs. Both typically carry data between the central processing unit (CPU) and a memory controller hub, known as the northbridge.[1]

Depending on the implementation, some computers may also have a back-side bus that connects the CPU to the cache. This bus and the cache connected to it are faster than accessing the system memory (or RAM) via the front-side bus. The speed of the front side bus is often used as an important measure of the performance of a computer.

Computer Science

Jeff Laatsch