Computer Science/Which engineering degree is best in terms of supply and demand?

Question
Hello.

I bring this question to you because I've already asked it around on the web but I got either poor answers, or conflicting opinions on the subject:

I'm wondering which engineering/tech field has the most potential. Looking for an area that meets the following criteria:

1. Demand (how high is/will be the demand for this field?)
a) general society
b) special situations (wild nature semi-rural communities, space colonies etc.)

2. Supply (how many people can do/transit to/offer this?)

Some say Computer Science is top stuff because the world is getting more computerized. Others say Mechanical Engineering will always be needed and the latter can learn programming just like any computer scientist, but not viceversa...

What about Environmental Engineering? The world will always need clean, green solutions. But then, if you instruct Mechanical Engineers to produce green from the start, there won't be a need for that many Environmental Engineers anymore...

Mechanical vs Electrical? Which one cannot go without the other? Or are they more or less the same?

Some may say: “It depends on what you like most”. It could be replied that what one “likes most” is heavily influenced by supply and demand. Let's just consider a person that could do any field, but wants the best bang for the buck, in other terms a list of bets listed from safest to most hazardous...

Or could one just skip college altogether and just study Math, Physics and Computing (programming, AI etc) on their own?

Thank you in advance for any considered, detailed answer.

Answer
Mi,

Interesting questions

I think this will give you your answer, in fact after reading the above you basically answered it yourself:   Environmental Engineering

http://www.bls.gov/ooh/architecture-and-engineering/environmental-engineers.htm

10 year Job Outlook: 15 growth ( faster than normal)

4 year degree

Hits all the sweet spots you mention:

a) general society

Good Luck,
Jeff

Computer Science

Jeff Laatsch