Computer Science/employability and degrees

Hi, I'm wondering, would you know whether the type of computer science degree affects employability? What I mean is, I'm doing a science degree, majoring in computer science. So most of my units are computer science related, but I also have a few random others from science, like biology and psychology. My university also offers a degree in "Computer science and technology". They have core units, while in my major I pick which units I want. I think pretty much all the units in that degree are for comp sci, they might have one or two electives though.

So do you know if the pure computer science degree is more employable than a major in computer science? Or is it the same?

Most colleges have in their undergrad degree program some biology and psychology options to fill the State requirements see your College Counselor to ensure you meet the State requirements: Depending on your career course or ideas it is key that most if not all the computer course you take fall into the 'technology' area of computer science unless you are thinking of working more in the medical field arena then their are parts of your degree, mainly in the first two years you could take some optional courses that pertain to medical field arena.

If your heart is in the Computer Science arena then focus on Core courses in Techology side such as software languages, hardware, etc.  Again the key here is to work with your College counselor to ensure you are meeting the requirements to fufill the degree requrements.

good luck,

Computer Science

Jeff Laatsch

I can answer programming questions related to: C, C++, PHP, PERL, VB, SQL, ASP, JAVA, JS, XHTML, XML, CSS, PL/SQL, AWK, SED, VI Editor and if I don`t know the answer I have 20+ years systems experience as my resource. I can handle general questions in most areas of computer science including systems integration, API, networking related issues.

An accomplished WEB Master/Developer, Programmer Analyst, Systems Administrator with 12+ years of industry background in full system management and technical hardware/software support expertise including SUN, HP-UX, AIX, LINUX, and Windows NT,Win2000, 2003 with Active Directory: Well rounded in software engineering principles, requirements gathering, analyst, definition, system architectural design, OOA, OOD, UML, SEI-CMM and SDLC: Knowledgeable in Data Warehouse, Data Mart technologies, and experienced working with ORACLE databases utilizing ERP, SQL, PHP, PERL, C, C++, PL/SQL,SQL, JAVA, VB.NET, SOAP and other Dynamic WEB technologies: Analytical thinker and problem solver: Goal oriented professional who has a Masters in Computer Systems with emphasis in computer programming (C++ and Application Development).

City University, WA 12/03
Master of Science in Computer Systems
with Emphasis in Computer programming (C++/App Development)
Chapman University, WA 6/01
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
Emphasis in Computer networks and security

20+ years of experience in the Computer Science Industry

Outstanding Achievement & Special Recognition