Computer Science/Need advice on course I should take

Greetings from Malaysia, Mr. Jeff. I'm Evan and I'm 17 years old. I'm interested in specializing in Software Development and becoming a Webmaster. If I'm considering foundation studies, what course should I take that would lead me to specializing in the areas of my choice?

What I have learned over the years is that becoming a programmer is a cumulative process which over time will build your skills, fine tune them, and hopefully to a point where you can lead others.

Programming is a 'Creative' and 'logical' process so check yourself to see if you use both parts of your brain.

Your first few years will be getting basics out of the way, and will actually test you to see if you really want to become a programmer.

Most Computer Science coursework begin with basics, plus getting the basic requirements:

B.S. program in Computer Science combines a solid core of Computer Science courses with the ability to gain substantial depth in another area through a required minor in a second subject
Basic courses include:

1. Concepts of Mathematics
2. Mathematics- basic up to Discrete mathematics: The better you become in MATH the better chances of your success as a programmer.
  2a. Differential & Integral Calculus
3. Some type of Principles of Functional Programming
 3a. Sue do code  where you take a story and build code
 3b. Logical design
4. Sue do code  where you take a story and build code
5. Theoretical Ideas in Computer Science
6. Database Applications /concepts
7. Algorithm Design and Analysis
8. Now here is where I differ than most: I recommend taking a Structured programming class like C first to get the concepts down; C is also used still today in many systems UNIX LINUX.
9. Then take a Object Oriented Programming (OOP) class in or C++.
10.  AT THIS POINT you begin to specialize in what you want to do
  Look Computer Science up via google to find various opportunities.
10. Then find an Internship that does that type of work to get your foot in the door, and gain experience.

Hope this helps,

Computer Science

Jeff Laatsch

I can answer programming questions related to: C, C++, PHP, PERL, VB, SQL, ASP, JAVA, JS, XHTML, XML, CSS, PL/SQL, AWK, SED, VI Editor and if I don`t know the answer I have 20+ years systems experience as my resource. I can handle general questions in most areas of computer science including systems integration, API, networking related issues.

An accomplished WEB Master/Developer, Programmer Analyst, Systems Administrator with 12+ years of industry background in full system management and technical hardware/software support expertise including SUN, HP-UX, AIX, LINUX, and Windows NT,Win2000, 2003 with Active Directory: Well rounded in software engineering principles, requirements gathering, analyst, definition, system architectural design, OOA, OOD, UML, SEI-CMM and SDLC: Knowledgeable in Data Warehouse, Data Mart technologies, and experienced working with ORACLE databases utilizing ERP, SQL, PHP, PERL, C, C++, PL/SQL,SQL, JAVA, VB.NET, SOAP and other Dynamic WEB technologies: Analytical thinker and problem solver: Goal oriented professional who has a Masters in Computer Systems with emphasis in computer programming (C++ and Application Development).

City University, WA 12/03
Master of Science in Computer Systems
with Emphasis in Computer programming (C++/App Development)
Chapman University, WA 6/01
Bachelor of Science in Computer Information Systems
Emphasis in Computer networks and security

20+ years of experience in the Computer Science Industry

Outstanding Achievement & Special Recognition