Computer Security & Viruses/Computer Security

Happy Holidays to you,

I am on a vacation at a resort, with open networks. In other words network is not secured. I wanted to make sure no one is hooking up with my computer by connecting to my computer thru my IP ADDRESS. In A nutshell, what I can do to secure my computer, and wireless is the only option when you are on vacation, do not have wired connections options here.
I have some tools, for instance WNetwatcher.exe to tell me,

IP Address  MAC#  Network Adapter  Device Info  User Text  First Detected Date  Detection Count.

I see myself, and Router of the resort, and some more devices are detected without the device name specified. See below, I am not sure they are routers, or individual computers. It looks like this

IP Address   Device Name   MAC Address   Network Adapter Company   Device Information   User Text   First Detected On   Detection Count   00-03-52-07-EA-0D   Colubris Networks   Your Router   12/9/2012 12:32:03 PM   20   HIT.hargray.lan   00-11-F5-77-F3-12   ASKEY COMPUTER CORP.   Your Computer   HIT.hargray.lan   12/9/2012 12:32:06 PM   20      7C-61-93-1C-06-33   HTC Corporation         12/24/2012 4:33:21 PM   8      E0-91-F5-02-F4-31   NETGEAR         12/9/2012 12:32:09 PM   20   

I have some knowledge about the network, but I am not sure how to detect if someone connected to me doing some piracy. How do I detect someone is pirating my computer.

I can download some more software to help me, or learn command prompts. I have windows xp home, and have win7 computers.

Thank you Sir,

ANSWER: Hi Leonard,

In your case, it would probably be best to use one of the following tools -  and you don't need to learn command prompts.

I hope this information helps. If you have additional questions, just ask.

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the links you sent. It seems best to set up a VPN for wi-fi access. I used VPN to access to my work one time, and it was easier to set up with step by step instructions.
I will need to reeducate myself based on the links you send.
I appreciate your time, if you have a choice of the free VPN services, please let me know.  I would like to know if you are against it.

I wish you very best in the New Year 2013.  

Best Regards,

Hi Leonard,

Sent the earlier reply about Anchorfree Hotspot Shield before receiving this,  but it seems I've answered your question just a few minutes before you asked it. You might also like GPass, but you can always uninstall and try another easily.

Computer Security & Viruses

James Filmer

Viruses, Spam, hacking, Rootkits, Trojans, Keyloggers, all other forms of Malware, Internet access problems, slow systems, application and system instability, network abuse, Firewalls, layered security configurations, system maintenance support and general troubleshooting.

System, network and website administrator