Computer Security & Viruses/Unwanted websites

Question
QUESTION: When I open a new tab or connect to a new page through a page which is currently open, in addition to accessing the page I am requesting I also get another new window with an advert or survey request. Can you tell me how I can stop this. My internet browser is Firefox and my OS is Windows 7. Thanks. Malcolm

ANSWER: Hello Malcolm,

Firstly, you are going to have to upgrade the browser by going to LINK 1 down below. If say your browser is currently updated, then all is well proceed to step 2.

2--Go to LINK 2 down below, download, install and run CCLeaner to get rid of all hideous cookies, spam, adware and optimize the registry.

3--Then the final session here is to open your Mozilla Firefox browser. Open a separate tab and copy and paste the following link without quotes "https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/latest/1865/addon-1865-latest.xpi?src=dp-btn-primary" and press ENTER on the keyboard.

4--Follow the prompts on the screen to accomplish installation i.e. restart Mozilla Firefox.

5--You should be OK now.

LINK 1
LINK 2

Kind Regards,
Lenny.

QUESTION: Lenny,
I still have a problem with an unwanted window opening up when I'm browsing on Firefox. It's address is uwavou.com and it ususally redirects to a survey. Do you know how I can get rid of this?
Thanks,
Malcolm

ANSWER: Hello Malcolm,

This time itis going to be a little bit technical as you are going to have to copy and paste these instructions elsewhere or rather print them out. Disconnect your laptop/pc off the net for a little while and follow the steps.

1-Open up Firefox
2-Type in ABOUT:CONFIG on the address bar. You can read the "Here be dragons message before you proceed"
3-Click on "I'll be carefull I promise" to proceed.
4-Type ArcadeCandy on the search interface
6-Right-click over each and every result containg the keyword ArcadeCandy and select RESET
7-Type "keyword.url" on the search interface without quotes and press ENTER
8-Copy and Paste the link below into the empty pop-up interface then click OK

http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&btnI=I’m+Feeling+Lucky&q=

9-Close the tab to exit
10-Once done, click on TOOLS, then scroll and click on Add-ons
11-Focus your eyes on the right column of the browser
12-Click on Extensions
14-Do you see any relative or similar name as ArcadeCandy ?
15-Do the same to the rest by clicking on Plugins.
16-Once you see this culprit, click on it and select UNINSTALL.
17-Then select the option RESTART. This option automatically appears on particular Add-on removal.

Now restart Firefox and reconnect your Internet/Network

Now follow this link to download, install, scan for and get rid of ArcadeCandy from your SYSTEM.

Get back if you need any more assistance, buddy.

Kind Regards,
Lenny.

TIP:Keyword.url web search engine has been localized on the address bar. You can search for a particular website/item/person/businessetc by typing in individual keywords followed by spaces or spaces or countries then a specialized website opens up.

QUESTION: Lenny,
I have tried what you suggested and could not find any files titled ArcadeCandy. Have you got any other suggestions.

Malcolm

Answer
Hey Malcolm,

This is going to be a bit challenging for you as it is meant to be a Registry editorial. If you feel like you have got the courage to handle the procedure then go for it.Otherwise it is just a matter of following quick steps so to speak.

HIJACKING THE CULPRIT

A--Please hold down F8 whilst restarting Windows
B--Select in Safe Mode with Networking
C--Type MSCONFIG then press ENTER
D--Click on the STARTUP tab
E--Uncheck the boxes beside all weird alpha-numerical named processes. In fact, if UWAVOU is there, the better !!
F--Click on the SERVICES tab, check on the box that says "Hide All Windows Processes"
G--Now uncheck all weird/strange alpha-numerical(or simply UPPERCASE/lowercase mix titled names without numbers) named processes.
H--Click on APPLY then OK
I--Check on "Don't Show This Message Again, Exit Without Restart"

STOPPING THE CULPRIT

A--Right-click on the taskbar and select START TASK MANAGER
B--Click on PROCESSES tab
C--Look for random.exe process. Highlight it and stop it
D--Close the TASK MANAGER
E--Go to Documents and Settings folder
F--Click on Tools->Folder Options->Advanced Settings->check Show Hidden Files->Click OK
G--Now type the following on the Windows address bar

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

H--Press Enter
I--Look for random.dll, random.exe, .lnk, and delete them

REMOVING THE CULPRIT

A--Click on START
B--Type in REGEDIT and press ENTER
C--Accept prompts to proceed
D--Expand on each one of the lines below by clicking on + and once you come to the destination, delete the last child line

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION\Internet Settings\random
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION\Policies Explorer\Disallow\Run
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT_VERSION\Run\random
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS_NT\CURRENT_VERSION\Winlogon “Shell” =“[random].exe”

Once you are done.....please RESTART Windows in Normal Mode to apply fixation.

CLEARING THE CULPRIT'S FOOTPRINTS

Now click HERE TO DOWNLOAD,INSTALL AND SCAN FOR HIDEOUS FOOTPRINTS just for safety purposes.

Hit back with results.

Kind Regards,
Lenny.

P.S.Video Support

Computer Security & Viruses

Lenny