Computer Security & Viruses/WIFI NET PASSWORD

I use a Toshiba laptop ,Windows 7 Home Premium 32 Bit,Firefox browser, and I connect to the Internet with a Verizon Jetpack Device. I am the only one who uses it. When I click the bars symbol to connect to the Internet I don't have to enter a password.I get connected automatically.

Is this safe or should I have to enter a password?

Did you enter a password the first time you ever used your Jetpack? If you did, then your computer would have set itself up to connect automatically from then on. To find out whether other people are denied access unless you give them the password, either ask a friend to try to connect, or use another computer yourself and try to connect. If it doesn't ask for a password, then you need to contact technical support at Verizon to solve the problem.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs