Computer Security & Viruses/PROTECT ME

I have a iMac that is running OS X 10.8.2 and was wondering would you please explain to me: what is a "identified developer"?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer is a easy was that I can understand)

Apple protects your computer from adware, spyware, viruses  and Trojans by evaluating the independent programmers and companies that write software for OS X. If they determine that their software is safe to install and use, then they give that company or individual "identified developer" status. That way you can avoid software that was written by criminals or noxious secret adware purveyors.

You still can install programs that weren't from an "identified developer." This feature is helpful if you or your friends like to write your own programs. But the safe thing to do is to only accept software from an "identified developer."

Will this make your OS X 10.8.2 computer totally safe? Almost. Apple is famous for the safety of its products. But on rare occasions, the bad guys will discover a programming flaw in an Apple product that can be exploited. So it's a good idea to run an Internet security program that includes antivirus protection on you OS X computer.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs