Computer Security & Viruses/UPnP?

Hello ,

I am using Windows XP and Privatefirewall 7.0.Today when I was viewing my firewall log, I noticed there had been incoming UDP packets from IP address , which if I'm right is my router.My laptop is connected to the router via Wifi.The internet
connection is private and Im not using other devices so I don't understand why my router sent me UPnP packets.

So in the advanced report it says:

Remote IP:
Local IP:

So my question would be:
Do you think this was a hacker?
Are there any other reasons?

You suspicions may well be correct.

Do you have an XBox on your network? It uses port 17 to maintain a peer-to-peer link (XBox Live).

The other legitimate reason for these packets is if you have subscribed to a "quote of the day" (QOTD) message service.

If you do not have an XBox or do not normally receive a popup box with a quote of the day each day, then there is no good reason for those packets.

Criminals will use this service to display a message to the victim that is false, for example a message that your computer has been infected with a virus and you need to send money to some company you never heard of in order to remove the virus.

A solution is to disable port 17 traffic at your router, if it has a control panel that enables you to open or close ports. Alternatively, your firewall may allow you to reject all packets addressed to port 17.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs