Computer Security & Viruses/data mining

I'm using WinXP on a desktop and Win-8 on a laptop. I usually use Firefox to browse but sometimes IE or one called Avant Browser. Whatever one I use I usually experience a pause and see communication in the lower left corner saying "waiting for ..." and an ad-related website or Google Analytics or something that I assume is a data-mining service. It is sooooo annoying. I've tried loading the Internet Options/Privacy/Sites list with as many of the names I see but it still happens, I'm sure I don't have all the sites or they are changing and it's a very difficult list to maintain with no copy & paste option and necessary on each machine, different for each browser, etc.
What's the best way to eliminate this kind of snooping and interference?

I have not used it in awhile but Spybot Search and Destroy used to have a great feature where you would use their "host file" that they had compiled with bad sites, etc. It is free and, if installed, don't use the "tea timer" feature. It will really bog your machine down.

Computer Security & Viruses

Keith Davis

Advice on how to avoid viruses and spyware. Suggestions on what software to run to avoid viruses and spyware. Identification of spyware, trojans, or virus infections. Overall system security.

As a PC tech, removing and identifying many viruses and trojans from customer's PCs.

4 classes short of a Networking degree.