Computer Security & Viruses/Email Address Validation.

Dear Carolyn

Will the following email addresses will be accepted and
validated by the respective email servers ?.

i.e. The User Name and Domain Name is the same.

In case any User is trying to create such email addresses, will
they be allowed to be created ?.

If yes i.e. these email addresses can be created, do you feel
this should not be allowed by respective email servers ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Yes, it is allowable to create an email address of the sort I use an email address which I created of this sort with a domain I own -- I have not heard of a mail server that does not allow this. I don't see why such email addresses should be forbidden.

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs