Computer Security & Viruses/Some programs on desktop not getting access to the internet

Question
QUESTION: Hello,

I have attempted to get this questions answered by two other experts in the Windows 7 section and while one's answer worked for a few weeks my problem has returned, so I thought to try a different area. Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

For some reason Windows 7 is not allowing programs to download from the internet. The programs (Adobe Digital & OverDrive Media are the main two) used to be able to download but they no longer work. I have placed them on the allow list to come through the fire wall and I am not running on a proxy server. I'm at a loss as to why it worked for years and now it no longer does. I have tried the both fixes that have been given for both programs and nothing has worked. For Overdrive Media I get the response that it is not connected to the internet and for Adobe digital i get a different error that I looked up and it stated that the program was not allowed through the firewall, changed that setting and still got the same error. I also used to get the accu-weather tab on the top of the scree but it now tells me that I am not connected to the internet. But clearly I am as I am typing this question.Even the gadgets that Windows provides that can be placed on the main screen, such as a clock and weather state that they cannot connect to server, this is why I think that it is Windows program and not the firewall that is causing this problem as i have tried turning off the firewall and I still have the same issue. We have not had any changes to our internet server or provider and the internet appears to be working fine as well. I also just completed a virus scan of the computer to determine if there was an issue there and nothing came up. I have also run
CCleaner as this cleared up the problem last time I had this issue but this time it did not help. The program that I most recently downloaded was dropbox and that is when I noticed it was not longer working
I really hope you are able to help
Thank You in advance for any help
Cheers
Janine
Oh also of note, is my utorrent program does not seem to have any issuing getting through

ANSWER: Janine,

Because it happened after you installed Dropbox, try uninstalling it and re-starting. If the problem persists, then we concentrate on the Firewall (windows?). If you no longer have the problem, re-install Dropbox again to see if the problem returns.

If you're using Windows Firewall, you might also consider installing a safe, reputable freeware or free-trial 3rd party Firewall for testing:

alternativeto.net/software/zone-alarm.
techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall-protection.htm

If you're already using a 3rd party party, you should contact vender support or software help forums.

Note, try not to turn off your Firewall while on the Internet. Also, this is really a homework question (in my opinion), but I didn't reject it because I can understand your frustration. If you rate me, please don't imply my knowledge is limited by not giving you the solution in one reply. Thanks.

QUESTION: Hi James,
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question, I did not realize that it was a homework questions, sorry about that. I thought when you said homework in your description I thought you meant actual school homework.

I have tried uninstalling dropbox and restarting the computer, but it did not change anything.

What do you mean about third party firewall? I believe the program I downloaded before, avast anti-virus has a built in firewall, and that does not seem to be helping it now.

Thank you again
Janine

ANSWER: Do you have Avira Free anti-virus or Avira Internet Security 8?
Whichever one you have, are you certain it's running properly - no error messages, or icon in system tray warning?
Does your system have the latest critical Windows updates?

QUESTION: Hi James,
Sorry it took me a bit to get back to you.

I answer your questions. I do not have Avira Free anti-virus or security 8

Yes all my windows updates have been completed.

The error message I get when trying to connect, tells me that I am not connected to the internet or that the programs does not detect an internet connection therefore, updates or download an ebook can not occur. But I do have the internet connection and have no problem when using firefox.

The things that the previous expert told me to do was go to http://tpsconsulting.com  and download everything in the read section on the software/support section. The programs that seemed to help was Avast internet Security. SpywareBlaster and CCleaner.

Thanks for all your time and help

Answer
Hi Janine,

Please see:

bit.ly/10YbVjh (overdrive.com/26A...Help-Tech-Format410.htm) regarding Adobe Digital & OverDrive Media

www.slideshare.net/WakeCountyPublicLibraries/how-to-download-overdrive-media-console

About Dropbox, if it was working, it's OK to install it again.

Check if Spywareblaster is blocking the applications/software - bit.ly/16EKsSz (spywareblaster support site).

Also, what else besides Avast, CCleaner and Spywareblaster did you install, and what other (if any) security tools are you using?  

Note, not suggesting it's spyware at this time, but it's good to have at least one anti-spyware application in use (free for personal use apps are OK too) like Superantispyware, Malwarebytes, Spybot S&D (immunized), among others. About.com and other reputable advice sites have links to reputable/safe free and free/trial apps.  

Computer Security & Viruses

James Filmer