Computer Security & Viruses/Address bar missing on Firefox and IE Home Pages

Hello Carolyn. I had no problems until I started answering writing questions for WD said, and I believe, it is the best Q&A site on the Web and you seem to be one of the best computer experts here.I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Win7 and Off7 with no problems that I can detect other than when I boot, so am Home, there is no address bar at the top and my few bookmarks have also vanished. Fortunately, there are 3 or 4 links at the top and I own 2 Yahoo! groups where I have been sending websites for 30 years. Usually, I have to remember the URLs of sites I want to reach and Google(or more often Yahoo!) them. It's possible my problems are due in part to my right-clicking the Home button if that helps you, Carolyn.
Will you please help me regain my Firefox address bar. I'll save recovering the missing IE address bar for later. Thank you very, very much,

There is a good chance that you downloaded free software that installed something that harmed your browsers.

What kind of security programs are you running? If you only are using free computer security programs, then you have a good chance of solving your problems by installing one that you pay for.

Antivirus programs alone won't do the job, even if they are the paid kind. Look for a product that promises complete security, including firewall, antispyware and antiadware.

If your problem is an unhelpful security program, here's one that has a great reputation that you can try for free and buy if you like it:

Let me know if this doesn't work and we can try some other alternatives.  

Computer Security & Viruses

Carolyn Meinel

I cover Windows, Linux, TCP/IP and Ethernet security questions. I do not cover Mac, smart phones, or other networking issues.

Books by Carolyn Meinel: wrote a chapter for The Hacking of America book (see My article Code Red for the Web for Scientific American was reprinted in the book Best American Science Writing 2002 (see My book The Happy Hacker: A Guide to Mostly Harmless Hacking is now in 4th edition with a Japanese edition (see

See a list with some online links at

MS, Industrial Engineering, The University of Arizona Took a course in computer forensics at the University of Texas at Austin/

DARPA, SAIC, Palmer Labs