Computer Security & Viruses/Zipper Problem Update

Question
QUESTION: Hi Brian,

After I sent you the last e-mail I did find a link to install Zipper.  Unfortunately when I ran it, five other programs were installed and Zipper was unable to complete the installation.

I restored my computer to yesterday's date and got rid of the 5 programs.  I thought maybe I could restore my computer to before Zipper was installed but that was in early 2012. Even if I had a restore point back then, and I don't, it would delete so many programs that it would be prohibitive for me to try and reconstruct everything.

I found some instructions on how to delete a program manually but they are too complicated for me to follow.

Bottom-line, I still could use your assistance.

Steven

PS I don't think I'll ever be a geek, just a geek-want-a-be :)

ANSWER: Hi Steven

With Revo, did you try a regular uninstall or a forced uninstall?  The forced uninstall would be the method I recommend here.  We can try other methods of removal if you still can't get rid of it that way.

Brian

QUESTION: Hi Brian,

I did a forced uninstall.  That's when I got the Error 1001 that I previously mentioned.

Steven

ANSWER: Hi Steven

There may be a corruption in the Windows registry causing this error.  Let's first run a tool from Microsoft that sometimes fixes this:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9779673
After running it, try to uninstall Zipper normally by going to your Control Panel->Programs & Features->Remove Programs.  
If the program is not listed or still won't uninstall, send me a new HijackThis log in a reply.

Brian

QUESTION: HI Brian,

I ran http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9779673 and asked the program to do an uninstall.  It ran through to the end and I thought Zipper was uninstalled since Zipper no longer appeared on the list of programs that was produced.

When I looked at my desktop the Zipper shortcut was still there.  So I thought maybe the above program fixed the paths of the program and I could delete everything using Revo.

When I opened Revo Zipper was still listed.  This time Revo ran through to the end.  I ran a forced uninstall and got the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

So I thought that some components of Zipper were still resident on my computer.  So I did the Scan and Revo found left over registry items.  The message also said 35 registries and 3 keys.  There were about 45-50 boxes in an hierarchical tree formation that I could have checked and have the program delete.  I didn't know what items to delete at that point (and I could not copy a list of the items) so I thought I'd check with you before I proceed.

Steven

Answer
Hi Steven

You can go ahead and delete the entries that Revo listed.  Revo will only find entries related to the program in question, so they are safe to delete.  After that, you should be good to go!  And by the way, you have done everything correctly so you have learned a lot more about computers in the process.  You will get your geek badge in no time.  Cheers!

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky