Computer Security & Viruses/Zipper Problem Update

After I sent you the last e-mail I did find a link to install Zipper.  Unfortunately when I ran it, five other programs were installed and Zipper was unable to complete the installation.

I restored my computer to yesterday's date and got rid of the 5 programs.  I thought maybe I could restore my computer to before Zipper was installed but that was in early 2012. Even if I had a restore point back then, and I don't, it would delete so many programs that it would be prohibitive for me to try and reconstruct everything.

I found some instructions on how to delete a program manually but they are too complicated for me to follow.

Bottom-line, I still could use your assistance.

PS I don't think I'll ever be a geek, just a geek-want-a-be :)

ANSWER: Hi Steven

With Revo, did you try a regular uninstall or a forced uninstall?  The forced uninstall would be the method I recommend here.  We can try other methods of removal if you still can't get rid of it that way.

I did a forced uninstall.  That's when I got the Error 1001 that I previously mentioned.

ANSWER: Hi Steven

There may be a corruption in the Windows registry causing this error.  Let's first run a tool from Microsoft that sometimes fixes this:
After running it, try to uninstall Zipper normally by going to your Control Panel->Programs & Features->Remove Programs.  
If the program is not listed or still won't uninstall, send me a new HijackThis log in a reply.

I ran and asked the program to do an uninstall.  It ran through to the end and I thought Zipper was uninstalled since Zipper no longer appeared on the list of programs that was produced.

When I looked at my desktop the Zipper shortcut was still there.  So I thought maybe the above program fixed the paths of the program and I could delete everything using Revo.

When I opened Revo Zipper was still listed.  This time Revo ran through to the end.  I ran a forced uninstall and got the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

So I thought that some components of Zipper were still resident on my computer.  So I did the Scan and Revo found left over registry items.  The message also said 35 registries and 3 keys.  There were about 45-50 boxes in an hierarchical tree formation that I could have checked and have the program delete.  I didn't know what items to delete at that point (and I could not copy a list of the items) so I thought I'd check with you before I proceed.

Hi Steven

You can go ahead and delete the entries that Revo listed.  Revo will only find entries related to the program in question, so they are safe to delete.  After that, you should be good to go!  And by the way, you have done everything correctly so you have learned a lot more about computers in the process.  You will get your geek badge in no time.  Cheers!

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills