Computer Security & Viruses/Zippet et al

Hi Brian,

After I deleted the hierarchical tree of items, Revo gave me other items which I also deleted.  I think Zipper has finally been zapped thanks to all your help.

When I was trying to initially get rid of Zipper I ran a number of programs, like Spybot, Malwarebytes, Kapersky, not really knowing what I'm doing.

Spybot Search and Destroy, for example, said that there were almost 20,000 temporary files and asked if I wanted to delete them.  I declined because I didn't know what the negative repercussions might be.

I know there must be a lot of junk on my computer and maybe even some viruses that weren't caught by the free version of Avast that I am using.  Do you have a set of instructions and programs that I could use to try and clean up my computer?  Is there a procedure you recommend to maintain the integrity of my computer once it has been cleaned up?   Right now I just periodically use Disc Cleanup and Defrag, and run the above programs as well.

Thanks again for all your help.  Maybe I qualify for a "Geek in Training" badge.

Hi Steven

Sorry for the delayed reply.  Security-wise, you have very good software for the detection and removal of malware.  The best way to beat malware is to not let it in your computer in the first place, so I use Firefox as a browser, with extensions AdBlockPlus, NoScript, and Web of Trust.  Never open file attachments in emails unless you are expecting them.  Never install toolbars in your browser, even from "trustworthy" vendors.  Personally, I do not even have Java installed on my PC, as a great many exploits are sent via Java code.  But NoScript will prevent them from running anyway.
As for keeping things clean, you may want to try CCleaner.  It's free and easy to use:
Then take the tour for instructions on its use:
The program cleans much better than Windows default.  Use it once a month.
Defragging is up to you.  There are those that say it really doesn't do much to improve the system anymore since Windows runs differently now than in the days of XP.
Finally, keep all your software up to date.  Manufacturers are releasing new versions all the time in order to address security issues.  I like the program Secunia PSI for this task.  Check it out here:
Hope that helps you stay safe and secure!

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky

I will help you in eradicating malware and all forms of virus/trojans/adware. I can answer all PC-related hardware issues. I can also troubleshoot Windows OS errors (all versions) and other software problems. HijackThis logs are a MUST for virus related help. If you do not know how to do this, I have posted easy-to-follow instructions on the Ask a Question page. Every computer infection is different, so I will give you personal instructions on how to remove the malware, not a 'pat' answer. You can be assured of a prompt, polite, and knowledgeable response in all regards.

I have over 25 years experience in using, building, and repairing computers. I have helped over two thousand people here on AllExperts, with consistent Top Feedback Scores. Please look at my answers here: I am also a Top Contributor of General Computing answers in Yahoo! Questions.

College Educated Self-taught Computer Skills