Computer Security & Viruses/Fax Modem Issue

Question
QUESTION: Hi Brian,

You have been very helpful to me in the past and although my question is not in your stated area of expertise, perhaps you can point me in the right direction.

I have an hp pavilion h8-1110t ad have been using an LSI USB 2.0 Soft Modem (a device that plugs into a USB port) and it's no longer working properly.  It originally came with an old computer.

When I checked my device manager it lists 2 modems - the LSI USB 2.0 Soft Modem and Standard Modem.  If my computer has a built in modem, I'd like to access it, but I don't know how to proceed.

I have Windows 7 installed.

Can you suggest how to proceed?

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Steven

Happy New Year!  First thing I would do is remove the USB modem if you haven't already done so, then uninstall any programs associated with it.  Then check the device manager and see if it is still listed.  If so, right click on it and remove it.  Then check your standard modem in device manager and make sure there is no ? or ! next to it.  If not the device is set to run.  Go to HP and download software and drivers if needed.  I was unable to locate an internal modem on the product spec page.  Perhaps it was installed custom to your machine?  You'll need to find the manufacturer in that case, and check their website for drivers.  Let me know if I can assist further.

Brian  

QUESTION: Thank you again Brian.

I did uninstall and reinstall the LSI modem.  Because the other modem listed as "standard modem" is not accessible.  Also, my computer has no phone jack.

I checked with HP and they said that they never included fax cards in their computer.  They would not check my original order (I have the order number) to view my hardware configuration because my extended warrantee expired in February of 2014.

I did further checking and the problem is with Widows 7. For the past 3 years I was able to use the LSI modem to fax internal documents along with JPEG attachments.  Now, I am unable to include JPEG attachments.
When I try sending faxes with jpeg attachments I get the following error message:

"windows can't fax or preview the attached file type"

I tried Googling solutions but am unable to understand the recommendations.

Any suggestion.

ANSWER: Hi Steven

I also searched the error message you keep getting.  According to the information I found, the problem is that Windows has lost the command associating JPEG and PrintTo, which is necessary in order to fax pictures.  The fix offered by user c627627 seems to be the one to go with.

Download this program:

http://izt.name/apps/types/Types.Setup.exe

Install the program with the default items checked.
Once installed, run it, then type in "jpg" (without the quotes).
Double Click on the jpg icon.
Click on the Actions tab.
Type in "printto" (without the quotes).
Click the green plus sign.
Next to yellow folder icon copy and paste the following:

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_PrintTo /pt "%1" "%2" "%3" "%4"

Click to exit the program.
Try faxing a picture and let me know if you are successful.

Brian

QUESTION: Hi Brian,

Although I was unable to follow your instructions to the letter since I got somewhat different information when I ran the program - IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!

Not only am I proud to know a geek but I am exceeding proud and grateful to know a geek who is obviously the top geek in geekdom.

Since I've always been inquisitive, even at 72, do you have any idea what could have caused Windows to lose the commands. When I was searching for problem solutions some people believed that Windows or Adobe updates caused the problem.

Thank you very much for your assistance.  Now I am able to fax my wife's medical needs to the appropriate drug companies.

Before I retired I was an independent consultant and help business owners grow their business.  On the off chance that you could benefit from my knowledge and experience, it would be my pleasure to reciprocate.

Here's wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Steven

Answer
Hi Steven

Thank you very much for the kind words.  File associations can become corrupted for a number of reasons.  Viruses, poorly installed software, even Windows updates can sometimes cause files to become disassociated from their programs.  It's hard to say what happened here, but a bad Adobe update is a good bet.  The update might have disassociated printto from JPEGs and assigned it to something like PDFs.  
In any event, I'm glad it's fixed and I will keep your generous offer of assistance in mind.  Best wishes and a very Happy New Year to you as well!

Brian

Computer Security & Viruses

Brian Benosky